Dear All,
Greetings from the National Eyeway Helpdesk
Please, follow below the Daily Eyeway Alerts:
1. News-
KOCHI: In our country, glaucoma is known to cause irreversible
blindness in at least 12 million population affected by it, making
near 1.2 million of them blind. However, over 90 % of cases remain
undiagnosed. Glaucoma affects the optic nerve that connects our eyes
to the brain. The clear fluid filling the eye, also known as aqueous
humour, is constantly flowing in and out of the eye. Think of the eye
as a sink with a tap that is always open. The liquid flows through if
the drainage mechanism is working well. But when it is blocked, the
fluid accumulates and begins to exert pressure inside the eye, known
as intraocular pressure (IOP).
Over time, this high pressure (IOP) can damage delicate visual
structures like the optic nerve head. If left untreated, it can turn
you blind. Source:
https://www.newindianexpress.com/cities/kochi/2020/mar/13/eye-of-the-illness-2115922.html
Colour blind may get licence to drive
NEW DELHI: Colour blindness may not remain a bar any more  for getting
licence to drive private vehicles and those  with “mild or moderate
colour vision deficiency” may get to  drive commercial vehicles too.
Read more:
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/colour-blind-may-get-licence-to-drive/articleshow/74602993.cms
2.  Workshop-
NAB Delhi is here with an exciting workshop on Accessible
Entertainment , which would burst all your myths about the same.
What to expect at the Workshop-
Overview of Smart TV
Audio description of Cinema
Accessible Games
The Workshop will focus on how the visually impaired individuals can
access the technology for Entertainment.
The aim of the workshop is to make the visually impaired persons
 independent in every field.
So, it is a golden opportunity for music and game lovers.
Hurry up and register yourself for the workshop.
Date- march 14th, 2020.
Time- 11:00 am to 4:00 pm.
Venue- National Association for the blind RK Puram ,Delhi.
For registrations: Please contact on the numbers given below-
Toll free: 1800 53 20469
+91 9212319672, +91 8826261166
011 117 26102944
email: helpl...@nabdelhi.in
3. Product HVPro Advance Daisy Player. HVPro Advance daisy book player
is a perfect digital book player designed for the blind and visually
impaired to access to music, media, documents, recording, and more
importantly daisy and etc.
The major advantages of the new player over the previous player are:
It has a replaceable battery. It uses BP-4L battery and can be easily
replaced. The cost of original BP-4L battery which is Made in India is
Rs. 250/- only and is available with us and can be procured online or
locally as well.
It uses Micro USB charging port. So you can use the same charger of
your phone with the daisy player as well.
Has Wifi support by which the user can listen to online radio and
access other features as well
Higher CPU with 1.3 GHz processor and 512 MB of ram
2 – MICs which provides better recording quality
Numeric keypad for easy input.
The price of the player is Rs. 11,500/- inclusive of GST.
It comes with both Hindi and English voices. Neel, Lekha for Hindi and
Susan and Tom for English.
 HVPro Advance daisy book player is a perfect digital book player
designed for the blind and visually impaired to access to music,
media, documents, recording, and more importantly daisy and etc.
 With the lightweight and compact design, HVPro Advance daisy book
player delivers up to 12 hours of listening pleasure any time and
anywhere. Please contact us if anyone wishes to procure the same.
Abhinav: Sparsh Products
119 Bhagirathi Puram, Opp. Lane no. 8,
Jakhan, Rajpur Road,
Dehradun 248001, India
Mobile/Whatsapp : 91-9837088334
Email: i...@sparshproducts.com
sparshprodu...@gmail.com
www.sparshproducts.com
www.sparshbraille.com. More at
http://www.eyeway.org/?q=hvpro-advance-daisy-player
  4. Article:
Does the Indian media really care about the disabled?
As I write this column with the intention of drawing attention to a
large section of Indian population that lives on the margins of our
society, I am thinking to myself: Does Anyone Care.
Does the media care? Do parents of ‘able’ children care? Do the
politicians or bureaucrats care? Do schools and universities care? Do
businesses care? Does the average individual care? And the resounding
answer to all these questions is ‘probably not enough’.  Not enough to
bring about a revolutionary change in the way persons with
disabilities lead their lives or how we treat them.
The other day I was at an event where mental illness and acid attack
cases were being discussed. As I heard stories of survivors, of
individuals and institutions working towards their rehabilitation, it
occurred to me that people who are affected by the issue at some
personal level are the only ones attempting to drive ‘change’. Their
pain translates into a passion to alleviate the suffering of others.
While effective work continues to happen in small pockets of the
country, we need mass campaigns to alter the mindsets of the vast
population of over 1.3 billion. In his first term, Prime Minister
Narendra Modi announced the ‘Accessible India’ campaign in December
2015. He issued a mandate to make public spaces, transport as well as
information and technology ‘accessible’ to persons with disabilities.
More at:
https://www.mxmindia.com/2020/03/shruti-pushkarna-does-the-indian-media-really-care-about-the-disabled/
5. Training-
Three days Self Defence Training for visually impaired girls March 2020
Cheshire Homes India-Mumbai (Estd. 1955) is organising a Three-Days
Self Defence Training for Women with Visual Impairment and Low Vision
from 27th to 29th March 2020 at its premises at Mahakali Caves Road,
Andheri East, Mumbai-400093
The three days training will be conducted by Mr. Arvind Khaire, a
renowned Mumbai based trainer, having conducted trainings for
non-disabled as well as for persons with various types of disabilities
for many years now.
The three days training will be an intensive one with major focus on
practical aspects. All the sessions will be conducted by Mr. Arvind
Khaire.
Last Date of Registration : 24th March 2020
 No Accommodation Will Be Provided
Training Details:
Participants/Audience: Women/Girls with Visual Impairment & Low Vision
Timings: 10.00 a.m. to 2.00 p.m.