Hi All,

Hope you all are doing good.

Insurance companies are still discriminating for providing health insurance
to visually challenged.

Recently I approached star health and HDFC ergo for buying online health
family health insurance for me and my wife(Both 100% visually challenged) .

I clearly told both the companies regarding our vision impairment in a
transparent manner.

HDFC ergo team refused to provide on the grounds of disability.

They said over phone that  medical underwriting team has refused the same.

On the other hand, star health is willing to provide cover only maximum upto
5 lacs where as I had requested for 10 lacs, again as per their medical
underwriting team.

However, all this conversation is over phone, and as usual, both the
companies have not given anything in writing even after my request.

I also gave them reference of the recent circular on Guidelines on
standardization of exclusions in HI Contracts given by IRDA, but no luck.

Both the companies policy terms are not having any such clauses in the
exclusions list for refusing insurance for visually challenged.

Please advise as to whom should I approach?

Please share your advise for purchase of health insurance.

Thanks and Regards.

Dinesh Thole