Hon’ble Finance Minister

15, Safdarjung Road, New Delhi 110029

Mr.Salil Parekh

CEO

Infosys Ltd

Plot no. 44/97 A, 3rd cross,

Electronic City, Hosur Road,

Bengaluru – 560100

Chief Commissioner of Persons with Disabilities, Ministry of Social Justice
and Empowerment,

Sarojini House, 6,

Bhagwandas Road,

New Delhi 110001

Ms. Tarika Roy

Joint Secretary

Department of Empowerment of persons with Disabilities

Ministry Of Social Justice and Empowerment  Government of India  Paryavaran
Bhawan, B-II Block, 5th Floor, Lodhi Road, CGO Complex, New Delhi, 110003

Department of Financial Services
Ministry of Finance
3rd Floor, Jeevan Deep Building
Sansad Marg
New Delhi-110001

Dear Sir/Madam,

*Subject: Inaccessibility of the new Income tax e-filing portal*

I am writing to you on behalf of myself and the visually impaired community
in India and I would like to draw your attention to the fact that the
Income Tax e- filing portal has become inaccessible.

The website until recently was fully accessible i.e. a person with visual
disability could file their own Income Tax Returns, check status etc. They
did not need to depend   on others. However the website is badly designed
and executed and the Visually Impaired have lost their privacy and their
independence.

The visually impaired independently operate computers and mobile phones
with the assistance of a screen reader which is a software that reads aloud
the contents on the screen using voice synthesised speech.

However, the current Income Tax e-filing portal cannot be accessed using
the aforementioned screen reading software. Some of the issues that we are
facing include:

1. Post login, the screen reader is unable to interact with the DOM
meaningfully, which is why the navigation elements are not presented
properly.

2. Menus and Submenus are not semantically marked up so the screen reader
does not indicate them as such.

3. Structure of the website is missing therefore headings, paragraphs etc
are not visible to the screen reader.

This is a gross violation of the Rights of Persons With Disabilities Act,
2016, the rules made thereunder namely; the Rights of Persons With
Disabilities Rules, 2017  and the standards on accessibility of
information, communication and technologies prescribed thereunder namely;
Guidelines for Indian Government Websites (Revised edition, includes Apps),
2018.

Please take this matter up urgently so that the visually impaired tax
payers do not miss out on the impending deadline.

I look forward to your immediate action failing which I will be constrained
to take legal action against you for the violation of our fundamental and
statutory rights.

Yours faithfully

Kanchan Pamnani

Advocate and Solicitor