Dear List members,
Please also note that if a visually impaired person is denied any
banking service then he/she can also file a complaint with banking
ombudsman as per the first circular. However, before making complaint
with banking ombudsman, one is required to file a written complaint
with branch manager/nodal officer of concerned bank via email or
physical letter. If the grievance remains unaddressed even after 30
days of giving a written complaint then banking ombudsman can be
approached at https://cms.rbi.org.in

On 10/28/21, Harshit Lohia <lohia...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>> the pizza chain in 2016 after he was unable to order from its website
>>> using
>>> his screen-reader software. In June, federal Judge Jesus Bernal ruled
>>> that
>>> Domino’s site violated the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Unruh
>>> Civil Rights Act, ordering the company to make its website accessible
>>> and
>>> pay $4,000 to Mr. Robles. A Domino’s spokesman declined to comment.
>>>
>>> Companies such as International Business Machines
>>> <https://www.wsj.com/market-data/quotes/IBM>  Corp. and Wix.com
>>> <https://www.wsj.com/market-data/quotes/WIX>  Ltd. have tackled the
>>> problem
>>> with accessibility checkers that automate the process
>>> <https://www.wsj.com/articles/website-makers-tinker-with-tools-to-serve-blind-users-11621473692?mod=article_inline>
>>>  of finding potential problems for people with disabilities. And the
>>> startup
>>> Evinced Inc., which looks for accessibility problems on websites using
>>> artificial intelligence, raised $19.5 million in Series A funding in
>>> February
>>> <https://www.wsj.com/articles/evinced-a-web-accessibility-startup-raises-17-million-11612353609?mod=article_inline>
>>>  from investors including Microsoft
>>> <https://www.wsj.com/market-data/quotes/MSFT>  Corp.
>>>
>>> Accessibility advocates say these services can miss errors, however, or
>>> inadvertently cause additional problems, by incorrectly describing an
>>> image,
>>> for example.
>>>
>>> Ambiguity is a challenge. Unlike accessibility regulations for the
>>> physical
>>> world, there is no clear framework for violations on the internet, said
>>> Jason Taylor, chief innovation strategist at UsableNet. Companies can
>>> end
>>> up
>>> being sued over accessibility despite their efforts, said Peter Shapiro,
>>> partner and Northeast regional vice-chair of labor and employment
>>> practice
>>> at law firm Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith LLP.
>>>
>>> “The current situation is very perilous for businesses—they don’t know
>>> whether they comply, no matter how much they expand and resources they
>>> devote to trying to be compliant,” Mr. Shapiro said.
>>>
>>> And litigation isn’t always the best approach, some advocates say.
>>>
>>> The lawsuits can sometimes force organizations to recognize the
>>> importance
>>> of digital accessibility, said Lainey Feingold, a disability-rights
>>> lawyer
>>> and author. But they often result in confidential settlements, without
>>> transparency into the defendants’ plans to become more accessible, she
>>> said.
>>>
>>> “Digital inclusion is about including disabled people in the digital
>>> world,
>>> and it is so vital for participation, diversity, civil rights,” Ms.
>>> said. “Funneling it into a question of is-it-legal compliance really

--
Thanks & Regards
Harshit Lohia