Hi,

I've been using Smart cane developed by IIT Delhi and Saksham when it was not even launched as a comercial product and has provided training to many users. Here are my thoughts:

1. No smart cane has the capability to alert about pits or potholes; it is tought when learning mobility to detect with the tip of your cane. Hence, it is essential to learn mobility from some professionals so that you can make the best use of your normal cane too.

2. Every device has some learning curve and so is the Smart cane! It requires a little training about adjusting the sensors, holding the cane the right way, and last but not the least, choosing the right "normal" cane according to your hight and then fit the smart cane device so as to enable it to detect the hanging or kne-head high objects with accuracy.

3. This device is not recommended in the crouded places but is quite helpful generally. I can quote several use cases where I find it useful. one such example is to use it to maintain the right distance from people when in line such as in metro when buying the token or entering the gate.

4. This device can withstand the normal splashes of watter but is not recommended in the heavy rains as it is not watterproof.

5. The device has two modes - Indoors and Outdoors. It is essential to switch to the right mode according to your environment so as to make the best use of the device. If you are indoors but device is set to outdoor mode, it may provide unnecessary vibrations.

6. The device is not designed to detect vehicles but to detect object which also includes cars. However, if the car is not directly in front of the device, it may not detect it. The device can also alert you about fast moving vehicles but that is not very reliable.

HTH.

Satguru.