Dear Access Indians,

Good Evening all of you.

I learnt from the aforesaid mail that  an incident involving one of our
colleague, Faiyaz, who faced significant challenges while attempting to
open a bank account at the Union Bank of India, Jalgaon Branch. His
experience, as shared, underscores a critical area of concern regarding the
accessibility of banking services for visually impaired individuals.

Faiyaz's initial encounter at the bank, where he was advised to visit a
cyber café to fill out the account opening form, highlights a gap in our
banking system's adherence to the inclusive guidelines issued by the Indian
Banks' Association (IBA) and the circulars from the Reserve Bank of India
(RBI). These guidelines are designed to ensure that banking facilities are
accessible to all customers, including those who are visually impaired, and
mandate that banks provide necessary assistance to help visually impaired
customers complete their banking transactions and formalities.

The swift intervention by Mr. Rahul Gambhir, resulting in the bank staff
assisting Faiyaz with the required formalities, is commendable. It not only
facilitated the immediate resolution of the issue at hand but also
demonstrated the positive impact of informed advocacy and support. However,
it is imperative that such assistance should not be exceptional but a
standard practice across all banking institutions.

This incident serves as a reminder of the importance of:

1. Training and Awareness: Ensuring that all bank staff are adequately
trained and aware of the guidelines pertaining to the assistance of
visually impaired customers. This includes facilitating account opening
processes, transactions, and any other banking services without
necessitating external intervention.

2. Accessibility and Inclusion: Proactively implementing measures to make
banking services more accessible and inclusive, such as providing forms in
Braille, enabling digital accessibility, and ensuring that physical banking
environments are navigable for all customers.

3. Policy Adherence: Strictly adhering to the guidelines issued by the IBA
and RBI circulars regarding facilities for visually impaired customers,
thereby preventing any form of service denial or discrimination.

4. Empowerment through Technology: Leveraging technology to empower
visually impaired customers to conduct their banking independently,
whenever possible, through accessible online banking platforms and mobile
apps.

In light of Faiyaz's experience, I urge our banking system to reflect on
and reinforce our commitment to inclusivity and accessibility. It is
essential that we not only comply with the established guidelines but also
strive to exceed them, ensuring that every customer receives the support
and respect they deserve, irrespective of their physical abilities.

Let us take this incident as an opportunity to review and improve our
practices, ensuring that our banking services are accessible, welcoming,
and supportive for all customers, including those who are visually impaired.

Thank you for your attention to this important matter. I look forward to
seeing positive changes in our approach to customer service, reflecting our
collective commitment to inclusivity and accessibility.

--

regards,
Mukesh Jain

[image: JAWS Certified, 2022]