Lucknow: Sarah Moin, 17, draws letters using her finger on her mother’s arms.
It takes a while before her mother, Julie Hamid, speaks for her: “I am happy.
Very happy today.”
A student of Christ Church college in Lucknow, Sarah suffers from a rare
condition called sarcoidosis which has affected her vision, hearing and speech.
But Sarah – known to her friends and teachers as Hellen Keller for her high
intelligence levels – hasn't lost her ability to amaze people.
She scored 95% in her ICSE class X exams, the results of which were declared on
Monday.
“She appeared in the board examination using an ‘orbit reader’, was given
around an hour extra by the board considering her disability and was given an
exemption from diagrammatic questions. We were expecting good marks but not
over 90%,” said Julie, a govt school teacher.
An orbit reader is a unique 3-in-1 device that serves as a self-contained book
reader, a note-taker and as a braille display by connecting to a computer or
smartphone.
Sarah’s dad Moin Ahmad Idrisi took voluntary retirement from his govt job to
help his daughter pursue her dream.
“She was blind since birth but could hear a bit. After class 3rd, she lost her
hearing power too. Her previous school was not ready to let her continue with
schooling; hence, we took her for treatment to a few doctors in South India,
but nothing worked. She lost a couple of years,” Idrisi said.
“But we kept teaching her using braille at home. Eventually, we met principal
Rakesh Chattree of Christ Church College who gave her admission to a special
class where a wonderful teacher, Salman Ali Qazi, was taking care of some such
special students in a separate classroom. But our daughter was the only one
with multiple disabilities,” he said.
He said that the orbit reader turned out to be a boon for her.
It is a device with a braille keyboard that is attached to a laptop. It has an
ebook reader that pops on the keyboard to enable a person to memorize things
through the touch and feel the process.
Sarah communicates with everyone in the family by drawing words on others’
hands using her fingers.
“This journey was not easy. All the content in the book was scanned and
converted into a Word file, so that it could be connected to the orbit reader
and she could read it by placing her fingers on the braille keyboard of her
laptop. For revisions, I used to ask her questions by making alphabets with a
finger, which she quickly joined together to form a word and gradually into a
sentence to understand what question I am asking,” said her mother.
“Luckily, we both are from the science stream and our daughter has a keen
interest in science. Her marks reflect the same as she scored 99 in geography,
chemistry (97), biology (92) and physics (89),” she said.
Sarah, who dreams of pursuing a career in science, has already begun self-study
for her class 11. Like both parents, Sarah’s elder brother Zohaib Ahmad, who is
studying law at Lucknow University, also helps her in academics.

Address
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/lucknow/girl-with-multiple-disabilities-scores-95-in-icse-class-x-exams/amp_articleshow/109899047.cms

Https://www.husainjournal.blogspot.com