hello friend, I suggest that, in the coming lokhsabha election we have to support one or two members from disabled sector. through accessindia we can start discussion for the suitable candidates for coming general election. then only our problems may be solved in India. please comments on this topics.
with best regards. m.chandru
----- Original Message ----- From: "pradeep banakar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <accessindia@accessindia.org.in>
Sent: Monday, September 22, 2008 3:02 PM
Subject: [AI] Activists Empower Disabled Voters

Activists Empower Disabled Voters

Mumbai, September 21 Despite existing laws on the right to accessible
polling locations, people with disabilities are unable to exercise
their franchise
during elections.

However, with the Lok Sabha elections round the corner, activists for
disability rights from across the country — 40 non-governmental
organisations along
with 15 Human Rights Law Network (HRLN) lawyers —congregated in Mumbai
for the launch of a nationwide campaign. A two-day seminar to provide
information
to people with disabilities about their voting rights as well as
facilities that exist to enable them to vote with ease kick-started
the campaign.

Representatives from Kashmir, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh and many other
states participated in the seminar, except the hilly regions where
elections for the
general public is itself an issue."

As per the conservative estimate, seven per cent of the Indian
population is disabled which is a sizeable number. However, scant
regard is given to them
both by the political parties and the Government when it comes to
implementing Supreme Court directives to enable them to vote.

Elections have come and gone but each poll leaves a familiar
aftertaste for the disabled - denial of their basic right to vote due
to inadequate arrangements
and facilities," said Rajiv Ratouri, National Director, HRLN.
Disability right groups have laid down various strategies for the
campaigns in their states.
"In the year 2007, in his letter to the Supreme Court, the Election
Commissioner had given an assurance that all the necessary
arrangements will be made.

He had also issued notices to all the state election commissions to
implement the law. We have filed right to information application to
monitor the work
in progress. At the national level we have urged individual state NGOs
and human rights activists to file RTIs and Public Interest
Litigations," said Ratouri.

According to the Bombay High Court orders and other high courts,
every polling booth should have ramps, Braille for visually impaired
to cast their votes.
Persons with disabilities will not be required to stand in queues,
disabled voters will be allowed facility of a companion of their
choice to assist them
in entering the booth and in casting their vote and assistance should
be provided by the staff on duty to escort the voter on a wheel chair
inside the
booth.

Casting one's vote takes very little time but this act has great
ramifications on the disabled - it is all about being visible and
being...
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/Activists-empower-disabled-voters/364280

Join Access India convention: For updates on it visit: http://accessindia.org.in/harish/convention.htm
September 21 &22!!