Date:10/01/2009 URL:
http://www.thehindu.com/2009/01/10/stories/2009011059281600.htm

Business

Microsoft, Oracle, pledge support

Special Correspondent

HYDERABAD: The employees of Satyam Computer Services were edgy on Friday
following reports of large-scale pink slips, even as some customers, including
Microsoft, extended the much-needed "solid support" to the company.

Though the company sources stoutly denied that the company was planning to
offer pink slips to associates working in several verticals, employees were
sceptical.
The repeated assurances by the newly-formed leadership team could not allay
their fears, as interim CEO Ram Mynampati openly admitted that he was unsure
if the company could disburse January salaries.

In the e-mails sent to employees, the company gave quotes of several of its
customers.

For instance, the representative of Microsoft in response to the leadership
team's efforts in putting said: "Thanks for your diligence. I understand that,
like all of us, your team have been blindsided by this turn of events. It is
reassuring to hear the steps you are taking and the diligence of your staff
in addressing these issues. I will be keenly interested in hearing about the
progress you are making. We understand the extremely unfortunate and trying
circumstances but will continue to stand by our partnership."

Oracle promised that Satyam could count on it to assist in every way it could
help Satyam go through the difficult time and rebuild confidence.

Cooperation

The e-mail mentioned that a Japanese automotive major said: "We have no
intentions of moving away from Satyam and we express our total support and
cooperation
during this moment of crisis.

"Please convey our commitment to keep our folks motivated and not lose any
hope."

'A leading software technology company' informed Satyam that "we will continue
to support you with enthusiasm on joint pursuits and in the spirit of our
partnership. We consider you a friend of our company."

The e-mail also mentioned that support came from one of the largest global
non-governmental energy company, leading oil and gas refining and marketing
company,
Australian full service supermarket and leading trans-national media
corporation.