Dear All,
An article about my Dad is enclosed. Kindly go through it... This credit is all because of wellwishers like you...
regards
Roshan Fathima & Jaseela
This article has been sent to you by Roshan & Jaseela ( coolja...@yahoo.co.in )
Source: The Hindu (http://www.hinduonnet.com/mp/2009/04/09/stories/2009040950180100.htm)
Metro Plus

Bangalore

Chennai

Coimbatore

Delhi

Hyderabad

Kochi

Madurai

Thiruvananthapuram

MAKING A DIFFERENCE

A born fighter

Known for his never-to-die spirit and will power, S.M.A.Jinnah lives up his dreams, says SOMA BASU

Photo: Soma Basu

MAN OF STEEL Braving all odds

He holds a famous name - Muhammed Ali Jinnah. But the similarity ends there. For, this Jinnah is no politician. But his will to convert his and other's visual handicap to a challenge is not only well known in this small town but discussed at various local, national and global platforms. When one has to combat the twin struggles of poverty and blindness and that too at an age meant to enjoy childhood, it is far more easy to give up. But obviously Jinnah, born in a small village Eruvadi in Tirunelveli district, was different. When he was a toddler his father deserted the family and he lost his mother when he was barely five. His maternal uncle brought him up but fate remained unkind to him. At the tender age of 13, he lost his vision in an accident and had to give up studies for five years visiting every eye hospital in the hope of cure. Finally at the age of 18, in 1962, he reconciled to the fact that his optic nerves damaged in the accident were beyond repair.

Renewed determination

And that is when Jinnah renewed his determination to be "educated first". "Even as a child, I was always interested academics. When I had to give up school post-accident, I kept in touch with news and developments around the world listening to the radio," he says. When he wanted to join a school for the blind at Palayamkottai, his family refused. "It was a social stigma because people lacked a professional outlook. My family thought it was an asylum. One day I just ran away from home. If I hadn't done that, I would have been lost somewhere today," he smiles. His grandmother, of course, came later enquiring and pleading him to return home but young Jinnah refused to budge. Since he was over-age, the school too refused to give him admission initially and instead asked him to learn Braille first. Once they were satisfied with his progress, was he taken in Class VIII. But there was no class IX for the visually impaired those days and he had to join a regular school for his High School education.

Madurai visit

After matriculation, a friend's suggestion brought him to Madurai in 1966 for a three-year vocational training course at the Rehabilitation Centre for the Blind started by the founder chairman of Arvind Eye Hospital, late Dr.G.Venkataswamy. Jinnah then went on to become the gold medallist in both B.A from American College and M.A from Thiagarajar College. He amazes with his zeal to work and ability to laugh at himself. With hard work as his life's mantra, Jinnah believes in being independent and self-reliant. He joined the Government School for the Blind in Madurai in 1974 as its head master and continued in that post till 1980 before opting to work as a teacher and "be of more use to visually challenged persons." To be treated on par with the sighted people, is Jinnah's goal. "Our plight should not be looked down up. We are like any normal human being minus the eyes. But we are no less in brain or ability if provided with right opportunities," he says.

His projects

To materialise his dream, he set up the Hellen Keller Education Society for providing integrated education to blind children along with normal-sighted children. This was followed by the National Federation for the Visually Disabled, a self-help movement. With the help of Dr.V, he started a school for the Blind at K.K.Nagar which was later taken over by the Government. "It is a crime to segregate disabled children. Integrated education places them in a position of exercising equal rights and opportunities," says Jinnah who also founded the Madurai chapter of the Indian Association for the Blind (IAB) in 1985 with 12 students and Rs.6,000 in pocket. Today, the IAB Higher Secondary School for the Blind at Sunderarajanpatti, caters to more than 350 students from eight primary schools in the southern districts of Tamil Nadu. An equal number are currently put up in dozen mainstream schools and colleges. Jinnah has employed 30 visually impaired people in his own institution, besides placing another 100 visually impaired people in government jobs and around 500 people in private firms. He has helped over 3,000 individuals through education, training and employment opportunities.

Library

In fact, IAB, Madurai was the first institution to introduce a computer course for the visually impaired higher secondary students. Its library is equipped with a Braille world map, a computer-based Braille translator and a reading machine. The IAB prints textbooks on various subjects for students from Standard VI to Plus-Two under the State Board. Efforts are on to also make books of interest like the Tirukkural, Agni Siragugal and Kamaraj's biography into Braille. Jinnah's year-long Post-Graduate Diploma course in "Teaching for the Visually Disabled" at the Boston University, USA, was actually an eye-opener for him and he returned even more determined to make his ilk self-reliant. Since the conferment of the International Rotary Award in 1981, there has been no looking back for Jinnah whose kitty has over a dozen prestigious awards including the last one in 2007 from Government of India for Best Institution for the Handicapped. A man who does not believe in wasting time or wallowing in self pity, not only did he educate himself under trying circumstances, but also saw to it that the other visually disabled do not feel different from the rest of the society. "Each of them has a special skill but they lack opportunities and recognition. Even the visually challenged are forced to seek new avenues today to make a living," he asserts, adding that the Government should on priority educate the blind and provide them with jobs so that they are not a burden unto themselves. On his part, Jinnah slogs round-the-clock for the uplift of their lot and to make their lives a lot more better and brighter. Making a Difference is a fortnightly column about ordinary people and events that leave an extraordinary impact on us. Email to somab...@thehindu.co.in to tell about someone you know who is making a difference.

Dear All,

An article about my Dad is enclosed. Kindly go through it... This credit is all becasue of wellwishers like you...

[...]

-------
Adieu.
Saravanan.
______
Please feel free to share your comments, feedbacks and and new ideas!
(saravanan.ramado...@gmail.com or saaravanan_2...@hotmail.com)
GOOD FRIENDSHIP IS LIKE THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN  EYE & HAND!
IF THE HAND IS HURT, THE EYE WILL CRY! & WHEN THE EYE CRIES, THE HAND WILL WIPE THE TEARS!!!
"Every man I meet is my superior in some way. In that, I learn of him."
 Emerson
*********