The Hindu News Update Service

News Update Service
Sunday, June 7, 2009 : 1505 Hrs

Sci. & Tech.
Now a networking site for senior citizens

New Delhi (PTI): Facebook and Orkut along with other social networking sites
are not sole domain of youngsters alone, senior citizens are also using
technology
to catch up with lost friends or share views with like-minded communities.

To fill the colour in retired life of lonely Indians, a website completely
dedicated to the elderly has been launched recently.

"Many surfers of our website have been vocal about their need to make friends,
have space to voice their thoughts without being judged by younger generation
and remain active.

One member feels our website helps bring out their "pachpan ka bachpan," says
Ishita Sukhadawala, promoter of Verdurez.com, a social networking site for
senior Indians.

"The website is for Indians and NRIs aged 55 years and above to connect and
engage with fellow senior surfers. The aim is to reduce the feeling of
loneliness
and isolation which comes with old age and promote life after fifty-five," she
adds.

The members of the website can network through blogs, forums, book clubs, image
galleries, polls, daily discussions, classifieds and chat rooms.