Sai Ram;
Flashget will do exactly what you wish and more. I have dial-up and use the program all the time to download large files in portions. It even stabilizes your download speed where necessary and possible.

----- Original Message ----- From: "aisha sahani" <mailtoaishasah...@gmail.com>
To: "accessindia" <accessindia@accessindia.org.in>
Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2009 5:12 AM
Subject: [AI] can downloads be resumed

One and all out there, hoping all you are in good health.
Yes, I own up, that I’m not in that nice touch of this E-family these
days, as I do check my e-mails on this account infrequently, but hope
I’ll manage to check all your mails in  regular now.
Coming straightly on the point, chats some other time.
So, as the subject says, wanted to ask that  is there any software
that provides resume facility while downloading something.
Very often, while I’m downloading anything, specially if it’s a long
file in size, I find it not possible to stay and waite for the file to
get downloaded.
I feel, that if there would have any software which could have start
the download from where I have left it last time.
Means, I can manage downloading long files if it’s possible to do it
in installments.
Folks out there will tell me, that is there any such software
available, and in fact how to do it, as you all know I’m pretty shabby
in computing.
Aisha sahani.