Banker Gita Mirji narrates how enrolling son Chinmay, afflicted with
Down's Syndrome, in a badminton class, changed his world

By Lekha Menon

GAME SET: Chinmay Mirji with mom Gita, playing his favourite sport at
the Balkan-ji-Bari court in Santa cruz pics: Rana chakraborty
Raising a mentally disabled child is a huge challenge for any parent.
But Gita Mirji, whose son Chinmay has Down's Syndrome, listened to her
instincts
and got him involved in sports. Recently when Chinmay, 14, shone at a
badminton tournament for the disabled, it was a special moment for the
Mirji family.
Likewise, several mentally challenged people are veering towards sports,
which, experts say, boosts their abilities. Events like the Special
Olympics are
proof of what these kids are capable of. Gita narrates how badminton
helped her son realise his hidden potential.

"Half an hour after Chinmay's birth, doctors informed  that he had
Down's Syndrome. We were numb; Chinmay was our second child, born nine
years after the
birth of our daughter. As months passed, the enormity sunk in.  Our
son's developmental milestones - walking, talking and motor skills -
were delayed compared
to others. But I decided not to get bogged down, and took it up as a
challenge instead.

Bringing Chinmay up

Despite consultation with experts, I mostly went by my own instincts and
observations.  Chinmay would respond to music. Similarly, he loved
building blocks.
I decided to work with him accordingly - identify the stimulus that he
responded to the best and get him interested in that activity. He would
never be
able to perform academically, so why not engage him in physical
activities and see where it took him, I thought? At six, I enrolled him
in a special school
but taught him at home too.

Chinmay's tryst with badminton began when he observed children in our
society playing the game. Gradually, he began toying with a racket  and
playing with
our house-help. The way he held the racket and his excitement indicated
he had a natural inclination towards it. I decided to explore this
spark.

I sought coaches who were willing to train him. The first time Chinmay
stepped into a badminton court, he was flustered seeing the court,
lines and players.
It took around 10 days to just get him familiarised with the place.

Training process

It was very frustrating, but I continued to take him to the court until
he got used to it. His coaches, R V Pai and later, Kiran Gehare, played
a huge
role. They were extremely patient and kept his motivation level going.
Getting him used to the warm-up itself was difficult. But Kiran would
demonstrate
each exercise until Chinmay followed it. Gradually his body became more
supple and he moved to the next level. He was slowly trained to hold the
racket
well and make contact with the shuttlecock. He was also familiarised
with the terms of the game.

Chinmay first learnt by observing other players. The coaches made him
play with 'normal' children to improve his agility. By and by, he became
adept at
the game.

Meanwhile, seeing his interest in sports, I trained him in cycling. It
took me three years just to get him to balance on a cycle.  Today his
cycle is his
most favourite possession and he rides it every day after the badminton
session.

Visible changes

Chinmay's efforts with the racket for the past five years paid off when
he recently played at the state level Special Olympics Bharat tournament
(a national
programme for development of sports for the mentally disabled). He won
two matches and lost two by a whisker. Earlier he played very well at
the district
level. Now he is trying for the national level.

More than winning or losing, sporting activities have done him a world
of good. Chinmay's very enthusiastic  and never misses a session. His
concentration
levels have increased, so has his  interest in studies. His maths,
alphabet-knowledge, crafts and motor skills have improved too. It's most
visible in
his painting; he can colour well within the outlines of figures given.
Also his speech has become  more coherent than before. Therapy has of
course, been
useful, but it's sports that has made him independent.

I feel parents of mentally challenged children shouldn't get
disheartened. Never shy from taking them to social situations. If you
train them, they can
be extremely independent. Most importantly, identify an area of interest
and get them completely engaged in it. It makes a world of difference to
their
lives, and yours.

  WHY SPORTS FOR DOWN'S SYNDROME

Often individuals with Down's syndrome, a chromosomal disorder, may have
some or all of the following characteristics: abnormally small chin,
slanted eyes,
poor muscle tone, a flat nasal bridge, a protruding tongue, a short neck
etc. They tend to have lower than average cognitive ability, ranging
from mild
to moderate developmental disabilities, and poor language skills.

Physical, occupational, and speech therapists can accelerate development
of such kids. Says Krishna Bhavsar, special educator at Dilkhush Special
School,
Juhu, "Since these children have weak muscle tone,  sports activities
can help improve concentration and make them mobile. They then follow
instructions
better.

Moreover, they learn how to play in a group, and follow commands.
Lastly, the child becomes more confident with constant appreciation;
his/her self-esteem
increases. Outdoor games  also helps them face the outer world making
them more social."

Source:
http://www.mumbaimirror.com/article/9/20090822200908220426433129c8d7012/
A-Shot-of-hope-.html

Information transmitted by this e-mail is proprietary to MphasiS, its
associated companies and/ or its customers and is intended
for use only by the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may
contain information that is privileged, confidential or
recipient or it appears that this mail has been forwarded
to you without proper authority, you are notified that any use or dissemination
of this information in any manner is strictly
prohibited. In such cases, please notify us immediately at
mailmas...@mphasis.com and delete this mail from your records.