Despite inclusive education being a constitutional guarantee, most
parents of disabled children find themselves up against an apathetic
tide when seeking
admission in regular schools.

One board appears to have taken notice of the malaise and is trying to
set things right. Moved by numerous complaints, the Central Board of
Secondary Education
(CBSE) has issued a circular to its schools across the country, warning
them with disaffiliation if they are found erring on this count.

"It has been observed that several schools affiliated to CBSE are not
abiding by our directive of inclusive education. The differently-abled
children face
challenges in learning as they may not be able to focus on the teacher
during classroom interaction, or their pace of learning may be slower.
Schools need
to allocate more aid for these children and make an extra effort," said
Vineet Joshi, secretary and chairman of the Delhi-based board.

A recent survey conducted by an NGO, Pratham, about the schooling status
of children with disabilities (CWD), reveals that 77% of them are out of
school.
The human development report of last year states that the literacy rate
of disabled children in the city is a meagre 17%.

"Many parents of visually challenged children have sought our help when
a school refused admission. We intervened and persuaded the school to
take the child,
and even provided resources. Instead of promoting segregated schools,
the government should concentrate on funding integrated education," said
K Ramkrishna,
honorary secretary of National Association for the Blind (NAB).

According to Avnita Bir, principal of RN Podar School, Santa Cruz, the
institute has had several differently-abled children who have excelled
in academics
and sports.

"Last year, we had a student who was hearing impaired, but went on to
score 92% in board exams. Schools that are not sensitive to the special
children,
and do not have special educators, are the ones who usually deny
admission," she said.

source:
http://www.dnaindia.com/academy/report_don-t-turn-away-disabled-kids-cbs
e_1334550

Information transmitted by this e-mail is proprietary to MphasiS, its
associated companies and/ or its customers and is intended
for use only by the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may
contain information that is privileged, confidential or
recipient or it appears that this mail has been forwarded
to you without proper authority, you are notified that any use or dissemination
of this information in any manner is strictly
prohibited. In such cases, please notify us immediately at
mailmas...@mphasis.com and delete this mail from your records.