hi friend,
as far my knowledge, one of my friend Mr. Mrinal Saha, who is a member of Blind Person's association, is an agent of L.I.C. and he is successfully performing his duty. as I am in Delhi, I could not be able to provide more details about the fact. Amiyo Biswas can, I think, can help you more in this regard.

your friend,
Amarnath De.,

From: "Vamshi. G" <gvamsh...@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, January 29, 2010 7:25 PM
To: "accessindia" <accessindia@accessindia.org.in>
Subject: [AI]  Can a blind person become an insurance agent?

Hi friends,

One of my colleagues in SBI has applied for the CIF exam , Certified
Insurance Facilitator, which is the required qualification to sell SBI
life policies through Bancasurance.  But his application has been
rejected on the ground that he is blind.
I came to know this when I contacted the SBI life divisional office at Tirupati.

Then I enquired with other CIFs(insurance agents) in SBI about the
exact role of an employee selling insurance policies.  They said it is
the responsibility of the concerned employee to verify the
authenticity of the documents submitted by the customer, which a blind
person can't do.

So, I would like to know from you
1.  Are there any blind persons working as insurance agents?
2. Is there any legal document restraining a blind person from writing the exam?

I personally feel, if a blind person can't perform a certain duty,
there is no point in writing an exam.

--
G. Vamshi
PH Res : +91 877-2243861