You will find all your mails-received, sent, drafts and of course your
archived mails- in the "All Mail" folder. Archiving your mails is not
a mistake actually,- it is a good practice as all your mails being in
the inbox will be avoided. I do archive my mails, by the way. You can
always use the search facility to  find specific  mails.
Regards, Ravi Paul