From: accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in
[mailto:accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in] On Behalf Of sandeep
singh
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2010 8:09 PM
To: accessindia@accessindia.org.in
Subject: Re: [AI] disability and census

Dear sir,
It's human behaviour to be afraid of anything new. We all resist, or
atleast try to resist, any change. Same thing was said when PAN card
came into existence. Let us have an open mind. Many countries have
such cards and nobody grudges them. Having such cards can be very
useful, in fact.
Regards,
Sandeep

At 07:04 PM 19-04-10, you wrote:
>Interesting article on this issue in the deccan chronicle:
>
>UID is an invasion of privacy: Experts
>
>The Nandan Nilekani headed Unique Identification Authority of India
(UIDAI)
>came in for much criricism at the first of a series of debates on the
issue
>organised in the city on Friday - Deccan Chronicle, April 17th.
>

>Bengaluru, April 16: Legal experts and several ordinary people find the
move
>to give all citizens of the country an identity number an invasion of
their
>privacy. The Nandan Nilekani headed Unique Identification Authority of
India
>(UIDAI) came in for much criricism at the first of a series of debates
on
>the issue organised in the city on Friday.
>
>Participants found the idea of concentrating so much power in one
authority
>frightening. One of the panelists Usha Ramanathan of the Centre for the
>Study of Developing Societies said that in two or three years people
would
>not be able to travel without carrying their identity numbers on them.
"The
>logic behind this is that if you don't have a number, you don't exist.
Our
>personal information will be fed into the systems of various agencies
with a
>certain set of people handling that data. Allowing so much power in the
>guise of security is handing too much control to the State," Ms
Ramanathan
>said.
>
>Malavika Jayaram of the Centre for internet and Society, described the
UID
>as "a technological solution to a problem that isn't even technological
in
>nature."
>
>Gautam John of Pratham Books, however, felt that a mechanism such as
the UID
>could help identify school dropouts and in tracking quality of
education.

>But most complained about a lack of clarity on the issue
>
>On 19 April 2010 17:52, Asudani, Rajesh <rajeshasud...@rbi.org.in>
wrote:

> > Well, ways of India are strange, like those of God himself!!!!
> > Though everybody knows that caste does form an indispensable factor
for
> > many things in India, including discrimination throughout millennia
and its
> > consequent reverse or compensatory discrimination/affirmative
action, and
> > even constitutional facilities like reservations etc., it is not
counted in
> > census.
> > We are habituated to avoiding uncomfortable realities, in the naive
belief
> > that by doing so, we are eliminating them.
> > It is like a child who believes that by closing his eyes, he can not
see
> > others, and so has become invisible himself to others as well!!!!
> >

> > Regards
> >
> > "Perhaps our role on this planet is not to worship God-- but to
create
> > Him."
> >
> >                                        --Arthur C. Clarke
> >
> > (Rajesh Asudani)
> >
> > Assistant General Manager,
> > Reserve Bank of India
> > Nagpur
> > 09420397185
> > O: 0712 2806676
> > Res: 0712 2591349

Asudani,
> > Rajesh
> > Sent: Monday, April 19, 2010 11:37 AM
> > To: accessindia@accessindia.org.in
> > Subject: Re: [AI] disability and census
> >
> > Wonderful, Jalaja!!
> > I am amazed why such simple questions raised by our kind-hearted,
clear
> > headed and forthright doctor friend are not being answered by any
one on
> > this enlightened list!!!!!
> >

> > Regards
> >
> > "Perhaps our role on this planet is not to worship God-- but to
create
> > Him."
> >
> >                                        --Arthur C. Clarke
> >
> > (Rajesh Asudani)