In my opinion, one should mention his/her disability in the CV, because you should always be clear in your part. Don't give chance to other to question you. Likewise also even if you mention your disability in your CV, no consultant checks or has time to review your whole CV. So during your interview you have to disclose your disability. Regarding the interviewer rejecting your CV on your disability basis, totally depends on his/her mentality. I have mentioned my disability under the last section of Personal details in my CV. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Sameer" <sala...@gawab.com>
To: "Access India" <accessindia@accessindia.org.in>
Sent: Sunday, April 25, 2010 1:25 PM
Subject: [AI] Disclosing disability in CV

Dear Friends,

We recently had a discussion on whether we should disclose our disability during the ongoing national census. I wish to know the members' viewpoints on disclosure of disability in job interviews in cases where there is no reservation.

I seek the members' views on the following queries.

1.. Whether we should disclose our disability in the CV sent to prospective employers, job consultants or posted on various job portals? 2.. In case we decide to disclose our disability in the CV, where should it be disclosed? Assuming the CV has 4 sections - General Information, Educational record, work experience & salary details, where should the disability be disclosed & in what manner? 3.. In case we are called for a job interview, should we check in advance whether the company will be willing to consider us inspite of our disability? This query is more relevant in case we have not disclosed our disability in the CV since some blind friends who had not disclosed their blindness were refused permission even to appear for the interview when they reached the employer's office. Also, it has been observed that inspite of disclosing disability, interviewers tend to skip over the information & they are surprised when they realize the interviewee is blind.

Seeking the learned members views on the above queries.

Regards

Mr. Sameer Latey,
Mumbai, India