To: <accessindia@accessindia.org.in>
Sent: Sunday, May 23, 2010 8:39 PM
Subject: Re: [AI] Difficulties in Banking

banking is one area where there is a lot of discrimination against the
visually challenged. opening an account itself isn't any easier, but
ones you open an account, getting the common banking facilities like
ATM cards and check book is an absolute nightmare.I've an account with
the Punjab National Bank, and I had my struggle of my life to get my
ATM card issued. it took me a good 7 month for the same to be done.
the struggle for the check book was also on similar lines, and
although I've got the checkbook, it has come with a lot of conditions.
most people on access india can tell you similar stories. I believe
some of our own members have taken a lot of initiative in this regard,
and the 2008 RBI order is an achievement because of such initiatives.