Hi Prashant

This topic is too vast to fit in a single email.
Clearly you and your team would have to do some amount of research.
I’ll just start with what I consider as the basic stuff.

To begin with, you need to find out what variant of Red Hat platform is going
to be installed by the government.
There are 2 main editions for desktops: Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) and
Fedora.
While Red Hat Enterprise Linux has to be purchased and comes with a
subscription for technical support, Fedora is entirely free and developed by
the Red Hat community.
Also, Red Hat Enterprise edition is largely based on the Fedora distribution,
but is suppose to be far more stable.
So, which variant is Maharashtra Government going with?

There are 3 popular assistive tools available on Linux for visually impaired
users and these 3 can be run on all major Linux distributions.
Moreover, a user can perform all the common tasks –text editing, checking
emails, surfing, writing programs- using any of these 3 tools.

Orca: judging by the people mentioning this one on this list, it seems to be
the most popular one in India. Orca is meant for dealing with GUI applications
on Linux like Open Office, Firefox, Thunderbird, etc. Orca is somewhat similar
to the Windows based screen readers.
Unlike what most people believe, Orca can run on any Linux distribution, in
fact it comes already installed on most major distributions. On Ubuntu, one can
easily start Orca just before boot options on the live CD. This is useful for
independently installing the distribution. This is why Ubuntu is more popular
than other Linux distributions.
Emacspeak: This provides speech for an application called Emacs, but Emacspeak
is not a screen reader. Emacs is a very powerful text editor with many
extensions and you can do pretty much anything in it.
See the following case study to get an idea.
http://emacspeak.sourceforge.net/smithsonian/study.html
Speakup: this is a screen reader for the Linux console. Many Linux users prefer
to do tasks through the command line.

To train your students, you should probably start with the use of these
assistive tools and their interaction with popular open source applications.
Till the time you don’t know the exact Red Hat platform that would be in use,
you should start with Vinux, a Linux distribution specially compiled for the
visually impaired.
http://vinux.org.uk/

Perhaps you may also like to contact CDAC as they are in your city.
http://www.cdacmumbai.in

They are involved in open source accessibility, though I’m not sure if they
could be of any direct help to you. Checkout the following web page for
information on their projects in this area.
http://www.cdacmumbai.in/index.php/research_and_publications/projects/enhancing_accessibility_for_foss_desktops

Regards