Date:26/10/2010 URL:
http://www.thehindu.com/2010/10/26/stories/2010102659642000.htm Back

Front Page

Microsoft sets Limca record

K. Srinivas Reddy

Logo of Windows 7 created on its first anniversary celebrations

First ever display of dominoes in India

“Placing each domino takes an average of three seconds per person”

— PHOTO: special ARRANGEMENT

Employees of Microsoft Hyderabad with the Windows 7 logo.

HYDERABAD: The fall of a chip sets off a cascading effect. As the
chips lined up in formations fall, a wave is created and vibrant
colour pattern emerges. It was not a mean task at Microsoft's
Hyderabad Centre. The falling chips made a dazzling display of the
logo of Windows 7, the operating system made available on October 22
last year.

This was the way a team of 22 Microsoft employees celebrated the first
anniversary of the general availability of Windows 7 and the effort
enabled Microsoft storm into the Limca Book of Records for the first
ever dominoes display of its kind in India. The Microsoft Dominoes
effect required 7,000 wooden dominoes, each weighting 12 gm and placed
barely 0.2 inches apart sidewise and 0.5 inches lengthwise to create
the logo.

“Placing each domino took an average of three seconds a person. We
were extremely tense and knew that a small mistake would cost us 20-30
minutes of effort. To our relief, the event went off really well, with
over 1,000 employees witnessing the chips fall from all around the
atrium floors and create a dazzling display of the Windows 7 logo. It
was seamless!” said team member Tanvi Ritwik.

The idea of organising a domino display was generated in a
brainstorming session of Microsoft employees of Windows & Windows Live
Group at Microsoft India Development Center that had worked on some
key features of the Operating System. The team, led by Archis Gore,
spent nearly 1056 hours (from planning to the culmination of the
event). The effort required the same precision engineering and team
work that product development does.

“After numerous arguments, countless cups of coffee and several
sleepless nights, we were finally ready for the Domino Challenge on
October 22, the day of the worldwide general availability” Archis
recalls.

A Microsoft release quoted Limca Book of Records Editor Vijaya Ghose
as saying: “This is the first ever display of dominoes in India and is
a symbolisation of perfect coordination and exceptional synergy among
team members.”

Commenting on the achievement, Anil Bhansali, General Manager of the
Windows and Windows Live Group, said: “At Microsoft, we always
encourage our employees to have fun at work. The Dominoes display was
a result of phenomenal planning and flawless execution and we are
immensely proud of the team.”

© Copyright 2000 - 2009 The Hindu