Hi friends, Although write ups on this subject have been posted to the list
earlier as well, still this one seems interesting to me, and hope you would
like it also.
----- Original Message -----
From: TS Negi
To: sayeveryth...@yahoogroups.co.in ; blindc...@yahoogroups.com ;
gklch...@gmail.com ; kapil0...@gmail.com ; vikram.ra...@gmail.com
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2010 5:55 PM
Subject: [blindCity] Driverless Cars: The Future of

Driverless Cars: The Future of
Independence

How often have you heard people over sixty say that they can no
longer drive after dark? How many accidents have been caused by aging
drivers with failing vision or people becoming distracted behind the
wheel? With a rapidly aging population and dwindling budgets for
public transportation, viable transportation solutions for people with
disabilities will be in great demand and will become a necessity. With
new technological developments, driverless cars may be the solution to
the problem.

By utilizing GPS, the cars would be able to map out routes and
special sensors would detect when objects are in front or back of the
car. Each car would have accessibility in mind for aging and disabled
drivers. Braille, large print, or talking software would be included
so that any driver could successfully operate the vehicle. For
security purposes, cars could require a personal code or password,
which would allow only certain drivers to operate the car. The car's
computer would ask the driver for a destination and the rest could be
taken care of by speed-sensing radar and unique software. If there was
oncoming traffic, the computer would know to slow down so that
accidents would no longer occur.

Just imagine the sense of freedom getting in to your own car and it
driving you to your desired destination. Our aging population would be
spared yearly eye exams to prove they can still drive. The worry of
being totally dependent on family members or para-transit would
disappear. It would break down barriers; no longer would we use the
excuse in applying for jobs, of "I cannot get there." The NFB, Naas,
Google, and car-makers are seriously working to develop a driverless
car in the U.S. and across the globe. Moreover, everyone, disabled or
not, would benefit from these cars. The issue of distracted driving
will become irrelevant. Drivers will become passengers as they sit
back listening to music, conducting business, or surfing the internet
while being transported to their destination.

In 2070 and beyond, these cars will be common and accidents will be
rare, because all cars will sense all objects behind and in front of
them. They will be everywhere, and as common computers are now in
2010. This invention will give everyone a now-undreamed-of sense of
independence.

What an exciting future for our children and grand children. I do
hope to see the start of this new revolution in my lifetime.

__._,_.___
Messages in this topic (1)
Recent Activity: a.. New Members 2
Visit Your Group
"send from the e-mail address you prefer, but don't forget to subscribe to gain
citizenship"
to subscribe, send an empty message to:
blindcity-subscr...@yahoogroups.com
Read our latest news at:
http://blindCityPress.blogspot.com
blind city (the off-topicless group)
MARKETPLACE
Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new
interests.

Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.