Connect your mobile phone to Internet through laptops

Ways to connect your mobile phone to Internet via WiFi
If you have a built-in Wi-Fi cell phone, there are two ways you can connect your mobile phone to Internet.

1. Connect to Internet directly if there is a WiFi hotspot nearby, or if you have a wireless router.

2. If you have a laptop with a wireless NIC, you could connect to Internet through your laptop.

Here we will use the second way, just follow the steps below.

Connect your cell phone to Internet through Laptop

First, Configure your laptop's wireless NIC. Make sure the driver has been installed and turned on. Configure it as a computer-to-computer (ad hoc) wireless connection, then press add in the wireless network window. Specify a network name (SSID) in the wireless network properties window and set it as open. If you want encryption for your wireless net work, please choose WEP and enter a pass key, do NOT let the computer set your pass key automatically as you have to enter it when configure your mobile phone. Or you can disable encryption! Then clicks advanced and choose Ad-hoc for your WLAN network mode, and finish it. Please note you should enter the same SSID when you configure your mobile, or you will not be able to connect to the laptop.

Second, Configure your Wi-Fi mobile phone. Create a new access point, enter a name like my wireless or any name you like. Select wireless LAN as your data bearer, and enter your SSID as your WLAN network name. Please note your should choose Ad-hoc for your WLAN network mode. If your wireless network is open, you should choose open network for the WLAN security mode, otherwise you have to enter your WEP key as you entered above.

When this has been finished, go to the advanced settings. Choose IPv4 settings, specify the IP address as 192.168.0.2 or others other than 192.168.0.1. And enter 192.168.0.1 as the default gateway. Now click on start, and choose RUN, enter CMD and click ok. Enter ipconfig/all when a CMD window appears, wirte down the primary and secondary DNS addresses of the network that connect to the internet. Now enter these DNS address in your mobiles IPv4 settings.

Third, Configure ICS. Right click on the Local Network or any network that connect you to the Internet, select properties and then advanced. Enable Internet connection sharing (ICS) and choose your WLAN network. Then a dialog appears and says WLAN IP will be set to 192.168.0.1. Just confirm and finish it. Then your mobile phone will be able to connect to the Internet through your laptop.

Hope this helps...
Dr. TVGNS Sudhakar
Associate Professor (International Law)
The WB National University Of Juridical Sciences
12, LB-Block, Sector-III Salt Lake, Kolkata - 700 098, India.
Tel: +91 33 23356233 (R)
Tel: +91 33 23357379 Ext. 2180 (O)
Mobile: +91 9831388915
E-mail: tvg...@gmail.com