Manmohan to roll out mobile number portability today

Sandeep Joshi

Public can switch operators without changing numbers

"It will enhance choice and bring in more competition"

NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will formally announce a nationwide
roll-out of the much-awaited mobile number portability (MNP) service on
Thursday.
This facility will allow mobile subscribers to switch operators without
changing their phone numbers, thus forcing telecom companies to improve
efficiency
of their networks, offer competitive tariffs and more value-added services.

"I think it is a great step forward for the consumer, as it enhances choice and
brings in more competition, because the more efficient you are as a service
provider, the more likely that consumers will choose you," Communications and
Information Technology Minister Kapil Sibal told journalists here on Wednesday.

Due to technical reasons and laxity on the part of telecom operators, the MNP
missed at least three deadlines last year. However, it was introduced in Haryana
as a test case in November 2010. In the meantime, private operators had already
begun a major marketing campaign, creating awareness of the service in
order to woo mobile users.

How much churning will happen in the mobile space due to MNP, only time will
tell; but it will definitely put pressure on mobile operators to offer better
and more value-added services not only to woo customers but also to retain
their existing customers. Some operators could further slash their tariffs to
attract customers. Mobile operators such as Idea Cellular, Vodafone Essar,
Uninor, Reliance Communications, Airtel and Aircel are all geared to introduce
the MNP to give a boost to their subscriber base.

"Idea is ready to enable the MNP on its network and has made substantial
investment in network, technology and processes to allow mobile subscribers to
switch network and move to Idea, post MNP. Idea has also launched an MNP
helpline to guide mobile subscribers on various aspects and procedures of number
portability. The mobile users across all 22 circles can call up the toll-free
number and register their requests for porting on the Idea network," Idea
Cellular said in a statement.

According to CDMA operator Sistema Shyam TeleServices (SSTL) president and
Chief Executive Officer Vsevolod Rozanov: "I think tariffs will go down further
especially if we speak about the post-paid customer base, where we are likely
to see the average revenue per user going down. In the pre-paid segment,
I doubt a significant change in their tariffs or profitability." The SSTL
offers services under the brand MTS.
http://www.hindu.com/2011/01/20/stories/2011012061061000.htm

When you feel afraid or nervous to do a thing then do it because the real harm
which you may thus receive is less poignant than its expectation and fear.
Easy tips of improving English at
http://shadablucknow.blogspot.com/
Shadab Husain interviews Dan Bloom
http://shdb101.blogspot.com/