From: Vaishnavi Jayakumar <jayakumar.vaishn...@gmail.com>
To: mhareformin...@googlegroups.com; MHA digest
<mhanewsviewsin...@googlegroups.com>; accessindia@accessindia.org.in
Sent: Sat, 12 February, 2011 9:53:59 AM
Subject: [AI] Fwd: "WHAT IS THE HURRY?" ASKS THE MINISTER. EXTENDS STATE
CONSULTATIONS' DEADLINE TO 10TH MARCH

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Disability News and Information Service India <dnis.in...@gmail.com>
Date: 12 February 2011 01:15
CONSULTATIONS' DEADLINE TO 10TH MARCH
To: secretar...@ncpedp.org

  Dear friends,

As much as some people may dislike or hate us or the kind of
work/advocacy/information dissemination that we do, tough luck, it does have
an impact!

The New Law Committee's efforts to rush the process and hold by & large
meaningless consultations across the country, suffered a setback today when
MSJE Minister, Mr. Mukul Wasnik himself stepped in and asked "What is the
hurry?"

For the last several days, Disabled Rights Group (DRG), National Disability
Network (NDN) and many other friends like Rajiv Rajan in Tamil Nadu,
Srinivasulu in Andhra Pradesh; Gautam Choudhary in West Bengal and Javed
Ahmad Tak in Jammu & Kashmir had vehemently argued: (1) that the draft of
the new disability rights law must be first translated into regional/state
languages; (2) it should then be disseminated widely and people, especially
grassroots level disabled people, must get enough time to be able to read
the draft and understand it properly; and (3) only then the state level
consultations should be allowed to take place.

However, unfortunately, no one was willing to listen! The Committee wanted
to rush the process and hold the so called state level consultations across
the country, during the 12th to 22nd Feb. time period!! Left with no other
choice, we had to label the process a "sham".

It seems that our voice reached the right people.

Earlier today (11.2.2011), a meeting was organised here in Delhi by the
Committee to brief their 'facilitators' on how to conduct the process. They
were give a copy of the latest draft law, the 9th February, 2011 version.
Along with that an 'Executuve Summary' was prepared and given. The booklet
is neatly/crisply labelled "Persons with Disabilities Act, 2011"!!! The
Committee, their consultant and whosoever their newfound friends are seem to
be so overwhelmed that they forgot (momentarily, I guess) the fine
difference between a Draft, a Bill, and an Act. Elementary knowledge a Class
8th student should have: only when a proposed law, ie a Bill is passed by
the Parliament, can it be called an Act.

Secretary MSJE, Mr. KM Acharya who was there at this meeting tersely pointed
out, "I don't know how you are calling it (draft law) an Act. It has to be a
Bill. It will become an Act only after it is passed by the Parliament."

He also supported our demand for the translation of the draft law: "No way
can this process be considered complete unless it (draft law) is translated
into the state languages," he said. After him, when Minister MSJE, Mr. Mukul
Wasnik spoke, he made the following rather instructive remarks:

"What is the hurry? Time is certainly not a constraint".

"Whatever is done, it should be as close to perfection".

"None should be left out to say that she/he had a view but did not get an
opportunity".

"Meaningful consultation will not be possible unless consultations take
place through state languages so that the mass of people can contribute".

AND, HERE IS THE GOOGLY CUM BOUNCER COMBINED:

*"I am glad to see Civil Society to be so vibrant, aggressive, informed, and
committed".*

WELL, TRUE, EVEN I FOUND IT HARD TO BELIEVE WHEN I FIRST HEARD THIS.
OBVIOUSLY, I WAS NOT THERE BUT NOT ONE BUT TWO FRIENDS WHO WERE THERE AT
THIS MEETING AND TAKING NOTES HAVE REPORTED THIS AS WELL AS THE OTHER
REMARKS.

Kudos, Mukul Wasnik ji, for once I am truly impressed. I am glad you have
taken things in your hands. I am happy you are taking a personal interest in
the making of this new disability rights legislation. More power to you!

Anyway, the long and short outcome of today's meeting is that the deadline
for the consultations has been extended to 10th March. And, as reported
before, the consultations will take place only after the latest draft (9th
Feb. version) of the new law has been translated into state languages.

The deadline for the filing of the reports is now 15th March, and after that
the Committee will meet one more time on 23rd and 24th March.

With best regards,

Javed Abidi
11.2.2011

--
*Communication Unit:
*National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (NCPEDP)

Get numbers right this time, help the census with correct disability info!