From: Amar Jain <amarjain2...@gmail.com>
Subject: [AI] Configurations to be kept in mind for external hard drive (USB)
for laptop?
To: accessindia@accessindia.org.in
Date: Saturday, 26 February, 2011, 12:41 PM

Dear All
Looking to buy an external hard drive which works using USB, for my vaio
laptop, and the capacity should be 500 GB. Actually I need something good for
data storage, as during the exams I do keep my laptop empty so taking backup in
pen drive or DVD becomes teadious.
To be honest, I have no knowledge of technical configurations of a hard drive,
what I know is just RPM.
I have spoken with the shop support team, they are suggesting me either seagate
or westurn digital. Both come with 3 years warrantee, however wd has onside
support whereas seagate has service center support.
WD is USB 3.0, and seagate is USB 2.0. My laptop supports up to USB 2.2.
Both are of 5400 RPM.
I am unable to surf on the sites of both, as they are dam heavy and my
connection is not letting me surf there.
My questions are:
1. Is there anything else I need to checkout in the configuration?
2. If I take wd, will it work on my laptop with speed irrespective of the fact
that I have support up to USB 2.2?
3. Which company do you suggest?
Any other relevant point which you want me to know.
Looking forward for an early response, as I have to get it before 3rd Maarch.
Regards
Amar Jain.
Get numbers right this time, help the census with correct disability info!
Question 9 relates to disability.