San Francisco, September 15, 2011
Intel’s Thunderbolt technology set for Windows foray next year
PTI
An Intel sign is shown in front of Intel Corp. Headquarters in Santa
Clara, California. File Photo
AP An Intel sign is shown in front of Intel Corp. Headquarters in
Santa Clara, California. File Photo

Expanding its partnership with Microsoft, the world’s largest
chip-maker Intel on Thursday said its high-speed interconnect
technology, Thunderbolt, would be available on the software giant’s
Windows operating system from next year.

The move would end the exclusive availability of Thunderbolt, which
was launched earlier this year and helps transfer data between
different computing devices at high speed, on Apple’s Mac computers.

The plans to offer Thunderbolt on Microsoft’s Windows platform was
disclosed by Intel’s Vice-President and General Manager of the PC
Client Group, Mooly Eden, at the Intel Developer Forum (IDF) 2011 here
today.

Computer-makers like Acer and Asus are working to make devices with
Thunderbolt compatible with the Windows platform, he added.

Thunderbolt enables different high-speed storage and media capture
devices to connect with each other through a single thin cable.

Speaking at IDF 2011, Mr. Eden also displayed a prototype of the
Thunderbolt technology running on Microsoft’s Windows 7 operating
system.

He was also joined by a Microsoft representative that showcased the
latter’s latest Windows 8 operating system on an Intel-based
‘Ultrabook’ device.

Putting to rest speculation about the two long-time partners drifting
apart, the two companies highlighted the broad collaboration between
them and pointed to the future opportunities that Windows 8 would
present across multiple computing devices such as tablets, hybrids and
the in-development ‘Ultrabook’

Intel’s partnership with Google for the launch of Android smartphones
powered by Intel chips and Microsoft showcasing its Windows 8
operating system on devices powered by chips from Intel’s rival, ARM
Holdings, had led to such speculation earlier this week.

However, both Intel and Microsoft have downplayed the developments.
While Intel CEO Paul Otellini said he was confident of Intel having
the best chips to run the Windows operating systems, Microsoft Chief
Steve Ballmer also reiterated his commitment to both Intel and ARM
chips.

Later, speaking to journalists, Mr. Eden said that PC manufacturers
would be free to choose operating systems of their choice on the
Ultrabooks and they would not be limited to Microsoft’s Windows
platform.

Asked if Ultrabooks could have Android as their operating platform and
whether such a move could affect Intel’s relationship with Microsoft,
Mr. Eden said, “Our cooperation with Microsoft is great. But they are
free to work with any of our rivals.”

“Similarly, we (Intel) also work with different players. It finally
depends on the OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturers) to decide on
the operating system,” he added.

Mr. Eden said that for the time being, Ultrabooks are being tested on
the Windows platform, but OEMs can make their own choices.

Source: http://www.thehindu.com/business/companies/article2455446.ece

Comments to : [email protected]   Copyright © 2011, The Hindu

Register for AccessIndia convention 2011 at:
http://www.accessindia.org.in/harish/convention.htm

Search for old postings at:
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/

To unsubscribe send a message to
[email protected]
with the subject unsubscribe.

To change your subscription to digest mode or make any other changes, please 
visit the list home page at
http://accessindia.org.in/mailman/listinfo/accessindia_accessindia.org.in

Reply via email to