From: accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in
[mailto:accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in] On Behalf Of Mohit Shah Shah
Sent: 27 April 2012 17:09
To: accessindia@accessindia.org.in
Subject: [AI] Feasibility of guide dogs in India

Hi all,

I  recently came back from the U.S. where I saw many great things.
One of the things that I saw was how visually impaired people do everything
quite gracefully with a guide dog.
This really tempted me to think whether the use of guide dogs would be
possible and feasible in India.
Although it's true that India doesn't have the best of roads, it's also true
that most indoor places like malls, airports, hotels, offices, etc have the
same kind of structure all over the world.
The roads in India have improved largely over the last few years and most of
them now are at par with most nations.

So, with that being said, the only major issue, I believe, is that people
feel that Indians, in general, hate and are scared of dogs, so the
experiment wouldn't work.
Now, my point is this: How many people have you seen who look at the white
cane with awe and respect?
I, for one, haven't come across many such people.

I believe that we can and must work towards promoting the use of guide dogs
in India.

I saw a blind man who was giving his guide dog instructions like, 'Find the
stairs' or 'Find an empty chair' or 'Find this XYZ person'
and the dog was able to do those things perfectly.
Now, I don't think you can really do such things with a cane, even though I
have full respect for those who use the cane -- me being one amongst them.

So, what do you all think about this proposition?