hi,
It was happend with me many times when I had little vision in past.
while walking with my friends  at  diffrent places, they often forgot
to inform me, there are stairs or other things. As soon as I put my
legs on staris, I was really so much confused and afraid. I got angry
many times and told them, please tell me before stairs.
Actually our friends have no mistake in it. Gredually  We are habitual
at our known places, so they understand, this is the cause of vision,
so they understand we  can hendle this situation.
It's true, to using cane in such cases to avoid such situations and be
independent, but it's also true, really  it's not easy to hold white
cane in our hands, specially late and partially blind and  young
person. but hey, it's not impossible  also. I  realise this after
losing entire vision.