Hello all,

I understand that the moderator has interveened into the continuing
discussion, suggesting that it is drifting off-topic. I am also aware
of the extreme caution that we exercise in this group while discussing
specific NGOs. However, I would like to submit that at least two
points raised by Akhilesh above pertains to disability rights advocacy
in general, so am responding to them.

First, when the primary objective is to advocate equal rights an
opportunities in a public institution such as a university, it becomes
crucial to look into instances of descrimination and marginalisation
of all concerned groups instead of only one. Thus it would be
thoroughly insufficient to look into the harassment of the visually
challenged only in Delhi University, while a genuine assessment of
such instances would inevitably reveal that several vulnerable social
groups get targetted and victimised. In such a scenario, i seriously
doubt whether any advocacy group working for a particular disability
can really strive towards building an inclusive space. On the
contrary, advocacies aimed towards the empowerment of the persons with
disabilities at large can greatly maximise the benifit earned for a
particular disability group. For instance, a barrier-free space with
ramps, lifts, accessible toilets etc. benifits not onnly the
orthopedically challenged, but makes smoother the mobility of the
visually challenged as well'; and a benifits of a digitised library
system can potentially go beyond the interests of only the
print-disabled. With the least intention to deny the significance of
existing advocacy groups for the blind and other specific groups, I
would like to maintain that a cross-disability advocacy group can in
fact work as a coordinator between all other groups, build solidarity
and strive towards a broad, meaningful disability assertion.

Second, without caring to varify the alleged failure of a specific NGO
and the supposed irresponsibility of one of its office holder above, I
would like to question whether elevating one supposed instance of
failure over several committed endeavours of an advocacy group, and a
grossly generalised reduction of a supposed irresponsibility of one
person and considering that one person as the manipulator over several
active and committed members, canin any way lead to a strengthening of
disability movement.

Best,

Viraj.