Dear Friends,

Two key privacy and security measures are agreed by the Indian Banks
Association (IBA) sub-committee on talking ATM. This has helped us in
convincing banks on their security concerns on talking ATM and these two
things are simple but very effective so we should fully support them rather
than expecting changes as voice through external speakers, etc.

1. Use of headphone to enable talking mode.  The ATM is a regular ATM which
can be used by both sighted as well as blind persons.  So ATM will only
talk when a standard 3.5 mm headphone connector is inserted into the audio
jack.  After completion of one transaction ATM will come out of talking
mode and if you wish to go for second transaction then please remove and
re-insert headphone plug.

Important to note here is that mobile handsfree may or may not work on ATM
audio circuit.  The technical reason is mobile handsfree connector has four
electrical connections, the tip, a first ring, a second ring, and the
sleeve. (TRRS - Tip, Ring, Ring, and Sleeve).  But any standard computer
headphone or earphone with three electrical connections, the tip, the ring,
and the sleeve (TRS - Tip, Ring, and Sleeve) will surely work.  ATMs
machines are globally manufactured and so it’s not possible to change audio
circuitry which is suitable for TRS connector to support TRRS connector.

2. An option to hide or blank out ATM display screens is another key point.
In the beginning this choice is given. So no one who may be overlooking
will come to know what exactly you are doing as sighted will see only a
blank bank image screen having  no text.  In case of fast operation of ATM
that means once you insert headphone and then insert ATM card ATM will by
default go into hidden screens and English language mode.  In case of
regular operation in talking mode first you need to go through have 4-5
offline options such as welcome message, language choice, hide or display
screen option, skip or listen to ATM orientation and repeat orientation or
move forward to next step. The next step is insert your card.  Once you
insert card and then PIN you go into the online mode of ATM.

I request all my friends who wish to do ATM transaction with talking mode
please always carry a headphone or earphone with you.  I am sure our
friends will fully support these two privacy and security measures
available on a talking ATM.

In case any ATM which is producing sound from external speaker then that is
a partial voice guidance not at all a talking ATM for the blind.  I already
explained this point in one of my old post giving
difference between public voice guidance and talking ATM for the blind.

Warm regards,

PRASHANT NAIK