Thank you very much Sanchit for sharing this article which I think for
the first time has delved deep in to exposing painful experience of
women with blindness who reside in various so called private hostels
in the capital.
I've given the original title with some addation in the subjectline.
safe accommodation for blind women is the desperate need of the hour
otherwise, quality education and employment will remain distant dream
for majority of them.
This article is worth-preserving thanks again this will help me in my
research titled: Persons with Disability act 1995: a Study in Delhi
And Sanchit, I am pasting this article and sharing on other lists as
well for more wider readership to let people know the harsh realities
of life of women with blindness.
Article Begins
Seema had just one dream: an independent and financially secure life.
It took some time for this feisty visually impaired teenager from a
middle-class family in the northeast to convince her parents that she,
too, needed to go to school like her siblings. Finally, her father
packed her bags and brought her to a school-cum-hostel for blind women
in Vikaspuri, Delhi. Seema was happy and certain that she would become
a lawyer someday.

That was six years ago. Sitting in a dark, dingy room on the first
floor of a hostel for blind women, the political science student says,
“Perhaps what I wanted to do would just remain a dream.” It seems
Seema is not the only one with shattered dreams; her 36 hostel mates
apparently share her sentiment. Finding a decent roof above their
heads is what drains these blind women of their resolve.

Seema's hostel is a damp dilapidated building in Sant Nagar, Delhi.
While the food they get is far from palatable, the rooms are
overcrowded. The open gutters that lead to the hostel get flooded
during monsoons, making it impossible for people like Seema to
navigate their way. But what has hurt this 21-year-old most is the
attitude of people on the road: she says most of them try to take
advantage of her disability. “But what makes me so helpless is the
fact that I cannot even see them. Earlier, I was living a
claustrophobic life and here I am fighting every moment to keep my
self-esteem and my dignity intact. I want to fight, but ‘the war'
seems never ending. And I am not sure, if I can ever win it,” she
says.

Another hostel for the blind in Nathupura is home to six women who
study at Delhi University, about 15km away. Every day they have to
walk a kilometre and a half to reach the highway, cross the road to
board a shared auto-rickshaw and then take a bus to the university. It
takes no less than an hour and a half and they need at least three
‘considerate' people who can help them cross the road and board an
auto-rickshaw and the right bus.

The daily ordeal apart, their hostel is dingy and reeks of rotten
food. The rooms are dirty, and a bed and an open shelf count as
furniture. The staircase to the rooms on the first floor is narrow. To
add to this, the windows are not covered, denying them privacy, says
an inmate. The rooms get overcrowded during the summer holidays when
other college hostels close for vacations and their inmates, too, come
here.

Every year, around 500 blind students seek admission at Delhi
University, which has 15 per cent reservation for students with
disability. But unfortunately, the university hostel has just 3 per
cent reservation. Also, the annual charges for the hostel mess ranges
from Rs.35,000 to Rs.80,000, which is not affordable for many. In all,
there are about 1,500 disabled students studying at DU. Of these,
hardly 200 students live in hostels provided by colleges. The rest are
left to fend for themselves.

Surprisingly, the government does not have any provision to provide
accommodation for blind women students. (The state runs Seva Kutir for
blind men.) This has led to a spurt in the number of hostels for women
by NGOs, most of which are not registered under Section 56 of the PWD
Act and are located in underdeveloped areas like Sant Nagar, Begampur,
Nihalpur, Rama Nagar, Burari and Nathupura.

Lalita, a political science student, stays in one of the hostels in
Burari, run by a blind couple. She pays just Rs.500 a month for the
accommodation and food. But there is problem, she says. “They expect
us to go for these fund-raising exercises on holidays. They are not
concerned about our studies. We are expected to go to such events even
during exams,” she says.

In their defence, the people who run these hostels say they are
hard-pressed for money and cannot do any better than offering the
women a place to live. “I sell timetables at the old Delhi railway
station and earn Rs.3,000 to Rs.4,000 every month. To run this hostel,
I get funds from local businessmen. I need at least Rs.15,000 to run
the hostel,” says Ranjan Kumar, 35, a former Delhi University student,
who is also visually impaired. “With this money, I can't provide any
better facilities."

Not just unkempt, most of these accommodations are insecure, too,
exposing these women to myriad dangers, including sexual assault. “On
days when most of the women go out, I feel an unknown presence," says
an inmate. "I get conscious. Other women, too, have felt the same way
but nobody dares to say anything to the owner.” The women say that the
‘donors', generally men, barge into their rooms unannounced, in the
name of distributing sweets or fruits. When the women raise objection,
the owners of the hostel scold them saying that the hostel runs on
donors' mercy and they should not behave badly with them. “Cases of
theft and sexual abuse are quite common in these hostels. Reason is
obvious. These women can't identify the intruder. In fact, that is the
reason nobody reports such incidents,” says A. David, an activist for
the blind.

S.K. Rungta, a senior advocate at Delhi High Court, who is blind
himself and fights for visually impaired people, says that a few
months ago, he got an anonymous letter in Braille from the inmates of
a hostel, alleging sexual harassment. “I sent my female associates to
the hostel, but nobody came forward. I became helpless. I couldn't
take any action. These women face sexual harassment but are afraid to
report it,” he says.

The biggest problem, says Rungta, is that these blind women don't get
support from their families, and most of them don't have visitors from
home. “None of them have ever visited me in the hostel. They do not
know what my hostel looks like,” says a woman from Uttar Pradesh about
her two elder brothers and mother.

Another woman from a village in Madhya Pradesh, who is very good at
chess and quiz, breaks down while talking about the indifference of
her family. “My father, mother, grandfather or brothers have not
bothered to visit me in the last two years,” she says. When this
reporter called her mother, she said: “We are generally busy, but we
are confident she can manage on her own. God will help her.”

But despite the lack of support from their families and inhospitable
conditions, these women do not want to leave Delhi as they believe the
capital is their last hope as it has the best educational facilities.
Delhi has recently seen an influx of blind students from Bihar, Uttar
Pradesh, West Bengal, Jharkand, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh and
Rajasthan. But lack of proper accomodation has send many students
back, too. Activists have often knocked at the door of Delhi
government for a hostel for blind women students. “The Delhi
government has accepted our demand, but it has been more than a year
and we are just waiting. After [the gang rape of a student in
December], we have been reminding the officials about the
vulnerability of blind women and the urgency of a hostel,” says
Rungta.

“Even at the university, there is a separate hostel for students from
the northeast, but not for the disabled,” said Ramdas, a blind, BA
final-year student at St Stephen's College. “There are about 1,500
seats available for disabled students but hardly 500 take admission
because of the accommodation problem they have to face while studying
at DU. I was lucky to get a hostel accommodation. Many of my friends,
who didn't get or couldn't afford hostel accommodation, tried to take
a flat on rent near the college. But nobody wants to take the
responsibility for a blind person, especially a woman."

Says Dr Kiran Walia, Delhi's social welfare minister: “The Union
government should make it mandatory for states to have a hostel for
people with disability. We, in Delhi, however, have been trying to get
it done at the earliest. As far as existing unrecognised hostels are
concerned, we can't take action against them. I hope in the new
proposed law for people with disability, we will get these powers.”

Until then they have no option but to fend for themselves.
(Names have been changed to protect identity.)
Article end.

On 5/23/13, Sanchit Katiyar <katiyarsanchit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> dear friends,
>
> please read this article, published in The Week magazine.
>
> http://week.manoramaonline.com/cgi-bin/MMOnline.dll/portal/ep/theWeekContent.do?programId=1073754900&tabId=13&contentId=14059581&BV_ID=@@@
>
> --
> With best regards,
> Sanchit Katiyar.
>
> E-Mail:
> katiyarsanchit...@gmail.com
>
> Skype ID:
> sanchit.katiyar11
>
> Mobile:
> +919013816320.

Avinash Shahi
MPhil Research Scholar
Centre for the Study of Law and Governance
Jawaharlal Nehru University
New Delhi India