All
This mail did not make to the list.
AccessIndia extends its heartiest greetings to Kartik.
Harish Kotian
Quoting
Blind boy blazes trail, scores 95% in science
May 28, 2013, 05.44AM IST TNN [ Shreya Roy Chowdhury ]
Kartik Sawhney with his mother.
NEW DELHI: Kartik Sawhney had to wage a battle before being allowed to study
science in class XI. The CBSE was not convinced Kartik, who is completely
blind, would be able to handle the 'visual inputs' - graphs, diagrams, models -
required for science. The doubters got their answer on Monday. Kartik scored a
95% aggregate in science with computers in class XII.
The DPS, R K Puram, student is now off to Stanford University to study computer
science. If he had his way, however, Kartik would have studied in an IIT in
India. But changes in IIT-joint entrance exam rules introduced last year have
made it impossible for blind students to qualify, he said.
Kartik said, till last year, blind students taking the JEE had "exemption from
visual input". They could attempt only the theory questions and their ranks
would be determined by their performance in those. "We could also have a scribe
and reader from science background," he said.
But this year, blind students were no longer exempted. Neither were they
allowed to use assistive technology. "They expected me to multiply 11,652 with
651 mentally," said Kartik. "And according to the new policy, I could have a
scribe and reader only from humanities or commerce streams."
It is argued that a scribe with a science background can help the candidate
with his answers. As a result, Kartik had to work with readers who were not
able to identify symbols and terminology in question papers. "I've had one
reader describe a symbol as an "ulta V", he said. It could've been a pi or a
lambda. "But I don't know," he said, "I've never seen a 'pi'."
If the education system had prevailed, Kartik wouldn't have come this far. He
had to write more than two dozen letters to the CBSE and its controller of
exams, had an NGO campaign and his school negotiate for him before he was
allowed to opt for science in class XI.
"It was very difficult to convince the authorities to let me study science,"
says Kartik, the son of a car-accessories store owner. Once he finally got to
study science, his school - Delhi Public School, R K Puram - found ways to help
him. "For practicals, the teacher explained the apparatus and in the test, I
got multiple choice questions based on the practical curriculum," he said.
Kartik's case is exceptional, said George Abraham, CEO of Delhi-based Score
Foundation, "After class VIII, most blind were exempted from studying maths and
science. They would be offered subjects like music. Now, some schools allow
science but the number is low." Abraham adding that from 2012, CBSE has allowed
multiple-choice questions in lieu of practicals and computer-based exams.
In school, Kartik was even allowed to perform experiments, but none that were
hazardous, involving toxic chemicals. He also used a range of assistive devices
and software - he used one to convert graphs into verbal descriptions. But
there was little material available that was accessible.
"In India, we don't generally use ebooks. I used a screen-reader but didn't
have text books on the computer," he said.
Kartik painstakingly keyed in all the text. "I had to do it all by myself," he
said. Nothing comes to him easily, not even CBSE results. There was a glitch in
his scores that had him rushing to his school in the morning. By evening, CBSE
had rectified the error.
But all that work has paid off as he leaves for Stanford on September 2. He was
extremely happy with the way the SATs are conducted. "You're allowed readers
and they give you test booklets where the word is written for the symbols," he
says.
Kartik has never lived away from his family - his father owns a store in Lajpat
Nagar, mother's a homemaker and he has a twin sister and an elder brother. "I
am a little nervous about leaving home but when I think about the IITs and what
they did, I become confident."
Email this article to a Friend
With thanks and regards
(Rajesh Asudani)
Assistant General Manager
Reserve Bank of India
Nagpur
(In youth you want things, and then in middle-age you want to want them.)
________________________________________
Caution: The Reserve Bank of India never sends mails, smses or makes calls
asking for personal information like your bank account details, passwords, etc.
It never keeps or offers funds to anyone. Please do not respond in any manner
to such offers, however official or attractive they may look.
Notice: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, use,
review, distribution, printing or copying of the information contained in this
e-mail message and/or attachments to it are strictly prohibited. If you have
received this email by error, please notify us by return e-mail or telephone
and immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. The
recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of
viruses. The Reserve Bank of India accepts no liability for any damage caused
by any virus transmitted by this email.
Register at the dedicated AccessIndia list for discussing accessibility of
mobile phones / Tabs on:
http://mail.accessindia.org.in/mailman/listinfo/mobile.accessindia_accessindia.org.in
Search for old postings at:
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/
To unsubscribe send a message to
[email protected]
with the subject unsubscribe.
To change your subscription to digest mode or make any other changes, please
visit the list home page at
http://accessindia.org.in/mailman/listinfo/accessindia_accessindia.org.in
Disclaimer:
1. Contents of the mails, factual, or otherwise, reflect the thinking of the
person sending the mail and AI in no way relates itself to its veracity;
2. AI cannot be held liable for any commission/omission based on the mails sent
through this mailing list..