From: AccessIndia [mailto:accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in] On Behalf
Of avinash shahi
Sent: 28 September 2013 18:44
To: jnuvision; accessindia
Subject: [AI] Blind couple adopt blind orphans - Chicago Tribune

Many may have read this true story in the past but who didn't, can read now.
Do you know any couple in India like this one discussed in the piece?
Do inform, please.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-05-11/news/ct-met-blind-adopting-bli
nd-20110511_1_cta-bus-rupa-lessons
Love is blind inside the two-story brick house on Mulligan Avenue. And that
is why the microwave buttons are marked with Braille. The clocks in the home
all announce the time. And at 7:15 a.m., everyone is listening carefully for
the school bus.

Ten-year-old Rupa is the first to hear it. "Oh, the bus is here!" she calls.
Her mother rushes to the front window, listening for confirmation before
calling out: "That's it!"

Rupa grabs her white cane. Six-year-old Aihua reaches down and, guided by
touch alone, pulls on a pair of rubber rain boots. Then Paula Sprecher
hustles them outside. With each step of this hectic school-day morning, the
49-year-old mother of two helps her daughters find their way in a world that
neither she nor they can see.

Sprecher and her husband, Alan, have been legally blind since birth.
And though Alan had some doubts about fatherhood - would they have enough to
offer a child? - the couple took a leap of faith in 2008 and adopted Rupa
from India. In January, they brought home Aihua from China.

Both girls are blind, too - Rupa can detect some light, while Aihua has no
vision at all. And that is fine with the Sprechers, who describe each of
their daughters as "a gift."

"My husband and I, we grew up without sight," Paula explains. "This is so
normal to us. We knew there were children out there who were probably given
up (because they were blind), and we wanted to provide a home for someone
like us, for someone we thought we could help."

Helping the girls, the Sprechers know, means pushing them into the world.
And so they teach their daughters how to ride the CTA bus (listen carefully
for each stop, they say), how to identify coins by their size and weight
("This is a dime!" says Aihua, correctly), how to sort the laundry (pin your
socks together before you put them in the wash).

The Sprechers have come to realize that, in the long arc of life, success
rests on a foundation of a thousand little lessons. And so, day by day,
inside the cozy house with the blue shutters, lessons about dimes and socks
become lessons about confidence and independence. Though she is still
learning English, Aihua declares with perfect pronunciation: "I can do it!"
It's a phrase that makes her parents smile.

"They're going to be functioning in the world someday," says Paula.
"We try to teach the kids a routine and let go a little more and more."

Canes, cues

Letting go isn't always so easy.

At Farnsworth Elementary School, both girls are mainstreamed in regular
classes and receive help from a classroom aide and instruction in Braille.
Sprecher is a teacher who works with the blind at the school, and so she is
never far away.

But on a recent morning, when she popped her head into the music room to
check on Aihua, she couldn't see that that her daughter - who has only been
in school for three months and, because of the language barrier, can't
understand much of what's happening around her - was in the back of the
classroom, looking a little scared and hiding her face between her knees

--
Avinash Shahi
M.Phil Research Scholar

ia.org.in