Sanjay Gaonkar lost his eyesight at the age of 24 to a rare disease. Now
battling multiple odds for 15 years, the 39 year old has successfully
created jobs for several people.

“I completed my bachelors in mechanical engineering in 1994 and everything
seemed on tract in my life.  But the same year, I started losing my
eyesight and, with it my confidence.  We are a middle class family and back
then, I had no idea how I would support my family with a failing eyesight.  My
doctor told me I would eventually lose complete vision and should
accordingly train and prepare myself by visiting the Helen Keller institute
for deaf & blind in Navi Mumbai as well as the national association for the
blind (NAB) India.  I eventually lost full vision in 1997.  It was the
lowest point in my life” says Gaonkar, a resident of Thane city,
Maharashtra.

A state-level gold medalist, Gaonkar had to give up athletics too after the
loss of vision.  However, his family and friends did not give up on him.  They
“instilled” back his confidence and he decided to use his skills in
entrepreneurship.

“I had lost my sight, but my mind was working.  I thought why not put my
education into good use and start my own business.  I approached NAB India
and Maharashtra State Handicapped Fiancé & Development Corporation, which
lent me Rs. 4.5 lakh in 2004 to set up my own business” he said.

Accordingly Gaonkar along with his Partner Atul Malvade, started a business
in Navi Mumbai.  The firm, which handles machinery and fabrication work for
a variety of business, now employees 45 engineers and 100-odd workers.

In recognition of his efforts, Gaonkar was recently given a National Award
in the category of best self-employed.

In 2009, Gaonkar has also received an award from the state of Maharashtra
meant for those who are handicapped but self-employed.  He was also
declared the “outstanding self-employed blind entrepreneur” by NAB India in
2012.

I started with one laborer and today we have 45 engineers and 80-100
laborers and workers, I want to expand further and he recently started a
manufacturing unit in Bhiwandi for barrels and drums used in oil sector.  It
has been a tough, but a rewarding and humbling journey” he said.

Source – The Sunday Express.
Time to meet up again!
Register for AccessIndia Convention 2014: