you can try the following steps on windows 7 and windows XP to type in
hindi or anyother language:
 1. Open Control Panel.
 2. Go to on Region and language option. and press ENTER on it
 3. Press CTRL+TAB to go to keyboard page.
 4. Select change keyboard button with ALT+C.
 5. in The next dialog select Add button.
 6.  In the tree view select the language you want to type in, for
example, telgu india
 7. Expand the Telgu India view with RIGHT ARROW.
 8. Check the check box of Telgu  India and in Others select the option of
 ink correction.
 9. Select Ok Button.
 10 Apply the changes and select the OK button to close Region and Languages
 dialog.
 11. Go to MSWord and Press ALT+SHIFT to shift between English and Telgu.
 12. Type in the characters here.
Please note, you can shift between various languages with ALT+SHIFT.

 Please contact in case you have any problem in following steps given above.
NVDA is as good as JAWS, you can start using it, it uses the windows
keystrokes, and is very much similar to JAWS.

in fact you can give your feedbacks to help improve NVDA.

Regards
Suman