Dear Sagar,

SmartCane  is an enhancement to the regular  white cane. If SmartCane is
used with the white cane mobility techniques, user can detect ground or
below knee height and the vibration pattern detects objects above the knee.
Apart from that, if the SmartCane user is in a familiar place, they can use
it without attaching a white cane to it, but if detached from the cane it
will only detect knee above objects. Hence, recommended to use it with a
white cane to detect both know below and high obstacles. The user will have
an uninterrupted and collision free walk. It is CE marked and meets
International safety standards. After being tested, the team has found no
adverse results and can be used according to the methods prescribed in the
manual.

 After the trials, we have received highly positive reviews from various
users. Several SmartCane users have said it has "increased their safety and
added to their self-confidence". It will also increase the users regular
walking speed and helping in finding/detecting passages, which adds to an
independent living. One user in particular mentioned how it helped her in
detecting glass panes. One can also get alarmed about a car approaching
towards the user due to the cautionary triggered collision alarm. Apart
from that, it also prevents awkward poking and collision with people while
walking in crowded areas with the help of a short range mode available on
the SmartCane

There is an initial adaptation phase while learning to use the device,
during which the users walking speed might slightly reduce due to the
vibrations. But once the user gets accustomed to the SmartCane, he or she
would be able to walk in their regular or increased speed. It  will
definitely help in colliding with several objects as it will cover knee
high and below obstacles.

Hope to have solved your queries, for further information you can visit the
SmartCane website: http://smartcane.saksham.org/  or email at
smartc...@saksham.org

Anwesha Choudhuri
SmartCane