Dear List members

I am please to share an affirmative happening for empowering visually
impaired staff at the Union Bank of India, one of the leading public sector
banks.  Union bank has come out with a circular with subject “inclusive CD
for blind and partially sighted employees” for prospective union bank
employees as well as for existing staff members.  This CD is intended to
issue the vital resources to visually impaired employees to discharge their
duties at their place of posting. The CD will be handed over along with the
welcome kit to prospective visually impaired employees under going
induction training program.
The circular has been issued by General Manager Personnel at central office
Mumbai, and circulated through bank’s internal channel.
Content of this CD is -
- Finacle guide designed for visually challenged users. Basic knowledge for
working on bank’s CBS Finacle with JAWS is provided.
- Software folder has screen readers (Demo version of JAWS and full version
of NVDA), Magnifier (Magic Demo for partially sighted) and TTS (Lekha for
reading Hindi). In general Union bank does provide license JAWS but in the
beginning for a new staff demo copy of JAWS or NVDA will be presented as
it’s now officially available within bank’s network.
- Tutorial contains specially designed training material for MS Office,
Windows, and Internet.

Friends, this venture of persuasion has been under taken by one of our bank
staff and a member of this list as well as a well known author and
contributor for ‘Braille Samachar Patrika’, a Braille magazine.  He
is Arpit Jain, our Hindi Officer.

This is Arpit’s unique initiative in the direction of empowering visually
impaired employees of our bank.  He has demonstrated as one of the change
champion of the bank.

Fortunately today Union Bank of India has good number of staff members who
are persons with blindness and they themselves are solid resource persons
of our community. They are working towards bringing accessibility and
inclusion in the bank along with handling their job responsibilities.

Hats off to Arpit for his accomplishment.

Regards,
Prashant