She shares her experiences in detail, Hope this helps many other aspirants.
http://www.newindianexpress.com/education/edex/Challenged-by-Life-Victorious-by-Grit/2014/06/23/article2290781.ece
THOOTHUKUDI: The recent news of a visually challenged girl from
Chennai clearing the prestigious Civil Service examination, securing
the 343rd rank in the final list of UPSC and topping the list of 30
disabled aspirants, inspires awe not only in commoners but also among
fellow aspirants, many of whom find it difficult to clear the
examination having all the resources in hand.

Beno Zephine is the superwoman who achieved the rare feat. Beno speaks
to edex about her childhood, her college education, the challenges
faced by her during these years and particularly during the
preparation for the UPSC exams, and her ambition once she becomes an
IAS officer.

Born into a middle-class family, Beno did her entire schooling at
Little Flower School for the Blind and Deaf in Chennai. She has been a
bright student since her school days, and was known among her teachers
for her incredible capacity to observe things faster and more
accurately than her classmates.

It was during her school days that Beno acquired the interest to serve
society, the reason she decided to take a shot at the Indian
Administrative Service. Beno says it was during her higher secondary
days that she set her aim on becoming an IAS officer, and started to
move towards the target.

Though she could not recollect any single event that served as her
inspiration, Beno says her social awareness was the kindling that
ignited the thought. She has always had a sense of indignation about
people wasting resources and has sought to create awareness within her
peer group. She remembers chiding her friends and relatives for using
both water and tissue paper for their ablutions. Whereas in Western
countries, people use tissue paper instead of water, in India people
wash their hands with water and then use tissue paper to wipe it dry,
using double the amount of resources, she points out. "Because I
condemn such practices, my friends gave me the nickname 'Nattamai' (a
local leader who issues diktats and verdicts based on popular
appeal)," says Beno.

Beno, who completed her graduation in English Literature from Stella
Maris College and then went on to do her post-graduation in the same
subject from Loyola College, both in Chennai, says she has never felt
impeded by her disability, as she has been blind since birth. Instead,
she took it up as a challenge and decided to achieve something that
would be useful to society. She began preparing for the civil services
from the final year of her undergraduation, and approached it more
intensively from the first year of her postgraduation. She says her
friends helped her a great deal during the entire course of her
preparation, right from her college days till the day before the final
results of the UPSC were announced.

She ascribes a huge part of her achievement to her parents, who
encouraged her and helped her pursue her ambition. She says her
father, NL Charles, a government employee, used to take her to
coaching centres and wait until the classes ended to take her back
home. "He has been a real inspiration," says a proud Beno.

Her mother, GA Mary Padmaja, too played a significant part in her
preparation for civil services. She used to read all the newspapers
and study materials for her, says Beno, who was good at grasping the
information quickly. Beno is also grateful to her mentors at various
coaching centres, especially for taking special classes for her and
clearing her doubts to help her achieve her goal.

Beno, who began learning to use Braille right from LKG, says she
prepared notes for Indian Polity using Braille, as it requires
personal shortcuts to remember facts. If she is selected for IAS,
which is likely considering her high rank, Beno is determined to work
for the welfare of the poor and marginalised sections of society.

Speaking about conquering disability, Beno has some wise words that
apply to everyone: "Disability lies not in physical attributes but
only in thoughts; people with physical disability should overcome
hurdles with mental toughness and achieve their goal."

Quoting Helen Keller: "I cannot do everything but I can do something,
and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something
that I can do", she parts saying people should discard disability from
their minds.

-- e...@newindianexpress.co

On 6/14/14, Mohib Anwar Rafel <mohibra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you share her e-mail ID?
>
> On 6/14/14, mukesh jain <mukesh.jai...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>> Would like to share good news with all. Hope you find it very
>> informative. Wishes her lots of success, prosperity and all kinds of
>> victories. May all mighty showers upon her all the dreams come true.
>> Now this storry begins:
>> CHENNAI: It was a tough climb to the top, but N L Beno Zephine enjoyed
>> it and made friends on the way. The 24-year-old, who was ranked 343 in
>> the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) exams, is visually
>> impaired.
>>
>>  "Cracking the civil services only requires hard work and an intuition
>> of what the examiner expects the candidate to know. You have to make
>> an effort, and coaching institutes help you with the second ingredient
>> to success in the exams," said Beno.
>>
>>  The results of the 2013 UPSC exams were announced on Thursday and
>> Zephine was overjoyed to be on the list. The Chennai girl Zephine
>> studied in Little Flower School for the Blind and went on to complet
>> her BA in English literature from Stella Maris College and MA from
>> Loyola College. She is working as a probationary officer in the State
>> Bank of India, Tiruvallur, and is also pursuing a PhD in English
>> literature.
>>
>>  "Preparing for the civil services made it easy for me to clear other
>> competitive exams," she said.
>> Source:
>> http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/chennai/Blind-girl-from-Tamil-Nadu-cracks-UPSC-exam/articleshow/36506697.cms
>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>> Mukesh jain
>> Email:
>> mukesh.jai...@gmail.com
>> mukeshheerachandj...@ntpc.co.in
>> Skype: mukeshjain211
>> Mob: 09977165123
>> "Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them; but do not let them
>> master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight. "
>>
>> Helen Keller

>> of
>> mobile phones / Tabs on:

>> mails

> Mohib Anwar Rafel
> Ph.D Candidate at Jawaharlal Nehru University Delhi
> Phone: 09811767506,
> 09211400800

Avinash Shahi
M.Phil Research Scholar
Centre for The Study of Law and Governance
Jawaharlal Nehru University
New Delhi India