Hi All,

This is turning out to be the most intriguing discussion that we've
had in quite a while!
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all the posts; some people have made
some really thought-provoking points.
That being said, one thing which particularly struck a chord with me
was what George Sir said about the need to enlarge one's social
circle.
That point, in my view, goes to the heart of the issue as that has a
direct impact on your ability to possess the required qualities to be
attractive, your ability to be an equal partner in a relationship,
etc.
Far too many of us spend most of our time engaging with other blind
people and only enjoy talking about assistive technology and the
challenges that our visual impairment entails all the time.
While I agree that these things are very important and deserve our
attention, I earnestly believe that doing these things to the
exclusion of all else is the primary cause of our inability to
effectively engage with sighted people, let alone sighted partners.
My uniform experience has taught me that, those blind people who do
not take their blindness too seriously and consider it another
dimension, albeit a very important one, of their personality, are the
ones who have more sighted friends and partners.
If a blind person thinks that he is simply not good enough for a
sighted person, then all his actions will reflect his low self respect
and lack of confidence.
As a result, this often ends up being a self-fulfilling prophecy.
As others have rightly pointed out, what actually matters at the end
of the day is not whether you have a sighted or blind partner, but
whether you have the ability and willingness to contribute
substantively to that relationship.

In sum, we all, as blind people, have a choice. The choice is this: Do
we want to view ourselves as blind people who must view everything
around us through the lens of blindness (no pun intended), or do we
want to view ourselves as intelligent, confident and competent
individuals who happen to be blind?
I am not denying the fact that many of our flaws and foibles can be
attributed to our blindness and have to be suitably dealt with, but
almost every important decision that we have to make eventually comes
down to this choice.

Best,
Rahul