Hi as far as i know, one must inform airlines at list 24 to 48 hours in advance.
just to further this point, airlines them selfs don't have
there own staf,
they do out sorsing, so need to get advance info
as much as possible,

i am not trying to justify the Airline, just wanting to throw light, how it works.