-----Original Message-----
From: seeingwithsound-bou...@freelists.org
[mailto:seeingwithsound-bou...@freelists.org] On Behalf Of Tim in 't Veld
Sent: Saturday, July 26, 2014 5:28 PM
To: seeingwithso...@freelists.org
Subject: [The vOICe] Survey on earcons in noisy environments (FaceSpeaker
follow-up)

Hi all,
As some of you might remember we discussed my FaceSpeaker wearable face
recognition device for the blind on this list last year. The project was
completed back in January and graded 9 out of 10. The full report is
available at www.facespeaker.org. Thanks to everyone who gave feedback
back then!

I started my master of Business informatics and plan to follow up on
this project. As a first step, in a sound and music technology course
we're running a small survey to find out what type of sounds for
conveying a message to a user ("earcon") is most effective in noisy
environments (a bar in this study). This is obviously relevant for
devices such as FaceSpeaker (synthetic speech is very hard to understand
in a noisy environment). But this research can also be interesting to
sensory substitution systems as it could make a (small) contribution to
designing "soundscapes" which remain effective when used in noisy
environments (needless to say, that's much more complicated than our
simple goal of finding effective earcons).

Below is the announcement. I hope many of you will be able to take part,
and if you can forward this announcement or generate publicity in other
ways that is highly appreciated! If you are interested in the results
please fill out your e-mail address in the questionnaire.

Thanks in advance.

--- The announcement ---

Would you like to help us develop better sound schemes for use in
revolutionary devices which enhance the independence of visually
impaired users? If so, please take a few minutes to participate in our
survey.

We have mixed 5 sounds with heavy background noise recorded in a bar.
You will be asked to rate how well you hear each sound over this
background noise. The survey serves to find out what type of sounds
("earcons") are most effective in devices which are used in noisy
environments. A good example of such a device would be FaceSpeaker, our
prototype wearable face recognition device for the blind
(www.facespeaker.org).

Please click the following link to participate:
http://goo.gl/vKxAHJ

Important: please read the explanation on the first page of the survey.
The sounds are offered as embedded youtube clips, but blind participants
may have problems playing those clips. Therefore we offer a ZIP file
containing the 5 sounds in MP3 format. If you encounter any problems
please send an e-mail to i...@facespeaker.org.

  If you are able to forward this announcement or help recruit more
participants in other ways, this is highly appreciated!

Thank you for your contribution!

with "unsubscribe" (without the quotes) in the subject line. To subscribe
again, send a blank e-mail to seeingwithsound-requ...@freelists.org with
"subscribe" in the subject line, and next reply to the confirmation message.