I'm curious to know was Mr Narendra Modi's extempore was telecast in
sign language today? if not Does PM's independence Day speech holds
more national importance than PM's swearing in ceremony?
Many thanks Amba for lauding an ordinary persons with disabilities
whose contribution is matchless.
Article with an URL is pasted below
VOICE HEARD, FINALLY
ANANYA SENGUPTA
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1140815/jsp/nation/story_18724087.jsp
File picture of a child at a rally in Jantar Mantar in New Delhi to
protect the rights of the disabled. (Prem Singh)

Street protests, nationwide consultations and meetings with
policy-makers -- advocacy for the rights of the disabled has never been
this vocal.

Almost two decades after the now-redundant 1995 Persons With
Disability (PWD) Act was drafted, its refurbished version with 108
amendments guaranteeing civil and political rights to the disabled
crawled its way into Parliament last year.

Although relegated to a standing committee, the bill, which has
expanded the definition of disability to include nine more
disabilities, is an example of the struggle by the community to gain
prominence in policy discourses.

Finally, say activists, disability rights are being taken seriously.

"The question to ask this Independence Day is, do the 70 million
disabled people in the country have 'real' freedom? We are not as
'free' as the others. For half a century, India didn't pay any
attention to this community," says Javed Abidi, the convener of the
Disability Rights Group, the largest advocacy group for the disabled.

"In 1995 they gave us the PWD Act and since then we have been
recovering from the 50 years of neglect. It's now that we have really
demanded, protested and really fought for our rights and been
noticed," he added.

The advocacy over the past year has brought in multiple gains for the community.

For the first time, the Republic Day parade telecast on national TV
featured simultaneous sign-language interpretation for
hearing-impaired people.

Three Doordarshan channels -- DD News, DD Bharti and DD Urdu -- provided
sign-language interpretation of the Republic Day commentary. News
channels were given directives to carry the signals of DD with the
interpretations.

Just months later, for the first time, a Prime Minister's swearing-in
was made available in sign language. As many as three Indian
sign-language interpreters were on duty on the occasion to ensure that
the oath-taking and related ceremonies are made available to the 18
million hearing-impaired citizens of India.

During the budget session, the government approved two one-of-a-kind
institutes for the disabled -- the Centre for Disability Sports, a
state-of-the-art sporting facility that would cater exclusively for
para-athletes, and the National Institute of Inclusive and Universal
Design, the first such institute to design barrier-free tools for the
community.

"These proposals have been pushed by us over the years and it is now
that the government is taking steps to build these institutes. Along
with the PWD law, these are going to revolutionise the lives of people
with disabilities," says Abidi.

Among the other promises from this government are:

* Printing of special currency notes with Braille-like signs for the
visually challenged

* Four new AIIMS for the grossly neglected healthcare sector

* Establishing 15 new Braille presses and revival of 10 existing ones

* Extension of the scheme to assist the disabled to purchase aids and appliances

Many like rights activist Amba Salelkar believe that the "real
tangible" momentum for the disability movement came not from activists
but from people with disabilities who contributed their time to the
cause.

"Our success has been that in the last year we have been able to draw
out the common man from the community to participate in and contribute
to the movement. They might not be activists, but they have taken part
in consultations, written emails and encouraged others like them over
the Internet. The movement really gained by the participation of these
people," says Salelkar.

Looking ahead

"I would like this government to enable me to go anywhere I choose to
go without thinking about inaccessible buildings and barriers for my
wheelchair," says Paralympic Deepa Malik, who is on the committee that
is drawing the blueprint for the sport centre for the disabled.

Disability rights activists, however, want much more and in concrete
terms. Their demands include:

* Higher interest rates, similar to the benefit for senior citizens on
fixed deposits, and long-term investment instruments

* Free education for people with disability up to SSC in all schools

* Spinal injury rehabilitation units at all public hospitals

* Rehabilitation insurance to cover all expenses (medical, assistive
technologies, therapy, etc.) of daily life

* Access tax of 2 per cent on corporations for 10 years to make the
public infrastructure in the country barrier-free and accessible to
people with disabilities

* Railway budget should include allocations to make platforms,
stations and compartments disabled-friendly

* 100 per cent FDI in manufacturing of products and assistive
technologies for the disabled.

--
Avinash Shahi