Time is short. I would have been interested!

-----Original Message-----
From: AccessIndia [mailto:accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in] On Behalf
Of avinash shahi
Sent: 29 October 2014 01:17
To: santoshkumar.rungta; kusumlata.2006; Pankaj Sinha; J L Kaul
Cc: jnuvision; accessindia; sayeverything
Subject: [AI] Special post: Justice Yacoob hangs green robe after 15 years

Note: Justice Yacoob is in Delhi these days
He is to speak as one of the panelists at a book launch at National
Law University in Dwarika on 30 October Sector 14. it would be nice if
NFB or any other institution organizes an interactive session with
luminary Justice Yacoob. contact me at the earliest to reach the
concerned person who is fixing his programmes in Delhi. Rest you have
an opportunity to listen him a NLU Auditorium 6:00 pm along with Prof
Upendra Baxi on 30 October. We Indians shouldn't miss this
opportunity.

part 1&2 are pasted below
http://www.sabc.co.za/news/a/25742a804e61e6019cdbbff251b4e4e2/Justice-Yacoo
b-hangs-green-robe-after-15-years--20130131
Thursday 31 January 2013 13:09
Candice Klein
Justice Zak Yacoob worked underground during the struggle and was part
of the process of birthing our noble constitution.
Justice Zak Yacoob worked underground during the struggle(SABC)

Tags:
Justice Zac Yacoob Constitutional Court Advocate George Bizos
Constitutional Assembly Durban Nelson Mandela Esteemed South African
jurist and struggle stalwart, Justice Zak Yacoob, is marking his last
day on the Constitutional Court bench today. The judge goes into
retirement after serving 15 years as a Constitutional Court judge.
Justice Yacoob was amongst the first judges to be appointed to the
Concourt bench having been selected by former President Nelson
Mandela.

Yacoob was born on the third of March 1948. Just short of his second
birthday, he contracted meningitis and was blinded as a result. His
blindness serves both as a marker of an exemplary life and also an
inspiration to all.  Justice Yacoob worked underground during the
struggle and was part of the process of birthing our noble
constitution. Looking back, Justice Yacoob believes that he could have
accomplished even more if he was not blind.

As a blind person, Justice Yacoob faced many obstacles in his path to
becoming a lawyer. He is however quick to acknowledge the many helping
hands along the way. Not least of all his parents. He comes from a
very prominent family in Durban and his father remains highly
respected to this day.

His parents didn't treat him any differently because of his blindness.
Justice Yacoob acknowledges that he wouldn't be where he is today if
his community had not rallied together to set up a school for the
blind when they did.

"Teachers were working exceptionally hard because there was no
material in Braille to work with. These days you can get Braille out
of a computer, in those days the only way we wrote Braille was we used
literally a wooden headed sharp pen poking holes into a piece of
paper," reminisces Jacoob.

As a blind person, Justice Yacoob faced many obstacles in his path to
becoming a lawyer.
Today, many still marvel at Justice Yacoob's remarkable memory. He
excelled at university, obtaining an LLB degree and later being
admitted as an advocate of the KZN bar.

In his heyday, he worked alongside another legal great, Advocate
George Bizos. The 84-year-old Bizos remembers their work together in
the Constitutional Assembly: "It was always surprising when we were
discussing the draft constitution - if somebody made a proposal he,
despite his disability, would say well if we accept that proposal it
would be in contradiction with paragraph 37 (4) 2 and somebody would
read it out and he would be absolutely right."

But under the heavy yolk of apartheid, over and above his blindness,
Justice Yacoob faced another major challenge: he was not white.

"You know I have been briefed in all my life by only two white
corporate lawyers, every other attorney who gave me work was either
Indian or African and I used to be very angry cos the attorney used to
say that they cant give work to people other than white 'cause they
gotta give work to competent people."

It was only after 1994, when briefing patterns changed, that he was
able to make money as an Advocate. But he faced yet another glass
ceiling within the legal profession. There was some debate, and
probably still is, about whether a blind person could become a judge
in the ordinary high courts.

It was felt by some that it might be an impediment in that such a
judge would be unable to see witnesses's faces and thus unable to make
credibility findings on evidence. The Constitutional Court, by
contrast, does not hear witness evidence and relies on legal papers
and arguments from lawyers.

Years later, Justice Yacoob says it's a good thing that the high court
bench was closed to him.

He says: "I think now that I would have found high court practice
extremely boring, and that's why maybe that worked to my prejudice I
mean if that meant that I came directly to the Constitutional Court it
must have been an advantage isn't it?"

Justice Yacoob is the last of the old guard of constitutional court
judges appointed during the court's early years. Facing his
retirement, Justice Yacoob feels that the important work of the
Constitutional court is being left in good hands.

On serving on a court which is the final arbiter in any constitutional
dispute, Jacoob says: "I think it is on the one hand wonderfully
enjoyable and challenging to be here; on the other hand it is in a way
frighteningly awesome to have so much power."

Later today, Justice Yacoob will hang up his green robe for the last
time and prepare for the return to his home town of Durban. During his
years on the bench his courtroom manner was nicknamed the Zak Attack.

Part 2

One of South Africa's leading jurists, Justice Zak Yacoob, has gone
into retirement from the Constitutional Court. Justice Yacoob lost his
sight when he was just a baby. Yet he beat the odds to rise above the
evils of apartheid and make it to the top of the game in the legal
profession. Justice Yacoob is officially on retirement after serving
15 years in the highest court of the land.

While blindness can be a profound disadvantage, in one way it worked
for the young Yacoob. After qualifying as an advocate, he worked to
establish his legal practice while at the same time working with the
ANC underground. His blindness proved the perfect cover for this
dangerous work.

"I never went to jail or anything because I don't think that it
occurred to the security police that a blind person could be a member
of any underground organization so I think I got spared there quite
nicely."

Justice Zak Yacoob is a formidable jurist. During hearings it's not
unusual to hear Justice Yacoob's voice booming over the speakers,
ready with a sharp-witted question or a barb. He's so renowned that
his characteristic strike is known in legal circles as the Zak Attack.

Recently his son, an elementary particle physicist, sat in on one of
his dad's court cases. It was one of his last court hearings before
his retirement. Justice Yacoob's daughter, herself an accomplished
Advocate, Seena recalls: "Ja, my brother sat in on that case for the
first time and that afternoon what he said to me was he really does
treat us like we're in court cos he does that. I believe they call it
the "Zak attack" but he does that to us all the time, this is how we
grew up."

Perhaps, these verbal sparring matches are what stood Seena Yacoob in
good stead when she ultimately faced off with the eminent Justice Zak
Yacoob in court. She was representing the KZN department of Education
in a case involving the cutting of school subsidies.

"One would expect from a government an attitude that said we are very
sorry indeed. In the spirit of responsiveness and full accountability
they ought to have provided the full reason as to why they made the
promise in the first place and why they went back, that's what
expected from government these days or is that a fool's paradise?"

The debate between the two Yacoobs became so intense that Justice
Johann Froneman was forced to elbow his way into the discussion. To
some laughter, Justice Froneman commented: "I dont want to get
involved in a domestic dispute but..."

Justice Yacoob never tires of the self-imposed duty to make the
Constitution accessible to all.

As a young lawyer, Zak Yacoob fought many battles on behalf of the
victims of an oppressive system. His star rose as part of the defence
team in the Delmas Treason Trial. This trial and his underground work
meant that he spent a lot of time away from his young family. His wife
of 42 years, Anu, says her husband is a wonderful father.

"He was a loving father to the children, helped me bath them and much
to the shock of his parents he used to help me change their nappies
when they were babies until he became a  bit more involved with
political trials and the underground. He was very much a hands on
father."

Years later, Justice Yacoob laments that he wasn't there for his
family the way he would have wanted to be.

"I feel a little guilty 'cause I don't think you can ever repay them
or cure the deficit that your being away would have resulted in. It
was necessary; though I don't regret doing it I regret the fact that I
had to do it."

Justice Yacoob never tires of the self-imposed duty to make the
Constitution accessible to all.

"Telling people what the Constitution is all about, ensuring that more
and more people understand that ordinary people have responsibilities
in the process of making the constitutional structure; that courts are
not the only people who do it; and that we all have a duty; and if I
can speak to more and more people about that I'd enjoy it very much
and I would hope that it would do some good."

Long time friend, George Bizos echoes these sentiments: "He made a
tremendous contribution to our constitutional law , i hope that he
will continue being involved talking to young people."

Justice Yacoob smiles at what he calls Bizos 'kind words': "Because
he's a soft hearted chap he feels a bit sorry for me 'cause I cant see
and that is one of the reasons that motivates his conclusion, but if
you put the tape off I'll tell u a story about George you will love
http://www.sabc.co.za/news/a/16aa8f004e651c98b0f0fa7da4cd6ad7/Justice-Yacoo
b-hangs-green-robe-after-15-years---part-2-20130102
--
Avinash Shahi

Clean India Campaign: Let us also chip in!

dia.org.in

please visit the list home page at

veracity;

sent through this mailing list..

Clean India Campaign: Let us also chip in!