thanks for the timely mail Avinash! indeed its an historical judgment,
we are grateful to him for having fought for this.

regards
Boopathi

On 12/15/14, avinash shahi <shahi88avin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Once Again, Kudos to Advocate Mr Sinha.
>

> On 9/22/12, akhilesh <akhil.akhi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi to all,
>> Now, the day is not very far when we'll be booking the concessional
>> tickets online.
>>
>> Delhi High court, responding to a PIL filed by a visually challenged
>> person, directed the centerl and railways to provide the concessional
>> ticket online. However, it will take few months to become the picture
>> more clear.
>>
>> I take the opportunity to congratulate Mr. Pankaj Sinha who has
>> handled this case with great conviction and care and brought the
>> justice to millions and millions of disabled people!!!!
>>
>> Pasting the entire six page judgment below.
>> Dropbox link is given at the very end to download the original PDF file.
>>
>> ===============================
>>  * IN THE HIGH COURT OF DELHI AT NEW DELHI
>> W.P.(C) 2145 OF 2011
>> % Judgments Reserved on:22.8.2012
>> Judgment Delivered on:12.09.2012
>> PRAVEEN KUMAR G . . . PETITIONER
>> Through : Mr. Pankaj Sinha, Advocate.
>> VERSUS
>> UNION OF INDIA & ORS. ... RESPONDENTS
>> Through: Mr. Rajeeve Mehra, ASG with Mr.
>> R.V. Sinha, Mr. R.N. Sinha, Mr.
>> Ashish Virmani, Advocates for
>> UOI.
>> CORAM :-
>> HON'BLE MR. JUSTICE A.K. SIKRI
>> HON'BLE MR. JUSTICE RAJIV SAHAI ENDLAW
>> A.K. SIKRI, ACTING CHIEF JUSTICE:
>>

>> 1. This petition filed in public interest by a blind person alleges, in
>> this petition the discrimination between disabled persons and senior
>> citizens in the Policy of IRCTC which provides facilities and services
>> for issuing the railway ticket on internet, or at the reservation
>> counters.
>>

>> It is pointed out that whereas senior citizens can book their railway
>> tickets at concessional rate on the internet as mentioned in the policy,
>> disabled persons cannot avail the same. Therefore, they are left with no
>> other option but to get their railway ticket booked from the designated
>> ticket counters at various railway stations and reservation centres.
>>

>> 2. The policy of senior citizens is as under:-
>>

>> "In case of tickets booked through internet no
>> concession is permitted except senior citizen.
>> "Thus, a person with disability is not entitled to
>> avail the concessional facility in case the tickets
>> are booked through internet, which is otherwise
>> available to him if he/she buys from the designated
>> ticket counters at various railway stations.
>>

>> 3. The petitioner filed an application under Right to Information
>> Act, 2005 to the Public Information Officer of the Indian Catering and
>> Tourism Corporation limited on 18.9.2009 seeking information for
>> travel concessions for completely blind persons on the website of
>> IRCTC. The said application was replied by the IRCTC on 12.10.2009
>> stating that the travel concessions for blind persons for online ticket
> [...]

Regards
Boopathi P
Ph.D research scholar,
department of English Literature,
School of English literary studies,
EFL University.
Hyderabad
Mobile: 09985138783

Clean India Campaign: Let us also chip in!