A file with the EPUB file extension is an Open Publication Structure eBook file.
The Open Publication Structure eBook format is a popular and freely
available eBook standard so most EPUB files you find will probably be
of this format.
Other types of files may also use the EPUB file extension. If you know
of any additional file formats that use the .EPUB extension, please
let me know so I can update this information.
How To Open an EPUB File
The easiest way to open an EPUB file is to double-click on it and let
your PC decide which default application should open the file. If no
program opens the EPUB file then you probably don't have an
application installed that can view and/or edit EPUB files.
Warning: Take great care when opening executable file formats received
via email or downloaded from websites you're not familiar with. See my
List of Executable File Extensions for a listing of file extensions to
avoid and why.
EPUB files can be opened in most eBook readers, like the B&N Nook and
Kobo eReader.
EPUB files have to be converted before they're usable on the Amazon
Kindle (see How To Convert an EPUB File below).
EPUB files can also be opened on a computer with various free programs
including Calibre, Adobe Digital Editions, Stanza Desktop, Mobipocket
Reader Desktop, Okular, Sumatra PDF, and many more.
Plenty of iPhone and Android apps also exist that allow viewing of
EPUB files. There's even a Firefox Add-on, EPUBReader, that allows you
to read EPUB files in the browser just like other documents.