On 18 Sep 2008 at 10:53, Ramiro Ochoa wrote:
> The cause of the problem is in Content-type returned by the remote
> server. Any file which returns the "text" word in content-type is
> treated as an ascii file. I noticed the same problem by "any" type of
> e-mail server (old gopher, agora etc.)

Thanks Ramiro -- great detection work!
The content-type should be application/x-rar-compressed
Other sites serving .rar files get it right, and there is
no problem.

> I don't know what content-type this file returns, so I can't say how
> hard a patch could be. May be an impossible change in many files or a
> simple change in a regular expression.

I don't think there is anything else to be done.
We can't anticipate errors in the server headers.

Perhaps not *very* difficult to modify the www4mail
code to intercept and act on probable mismatches
between the content-type header and the actual file
received -- but nobody at szs.net has the time to
do it. Testing would take longer than writing the
patch.

Perhaps we should just warn users that if the remote
servers are not configured correctly, the result
returned by www4mail is unpredictable.

In the meantime, the case is closed.
No further action -- the problem is at casema.nl