From: Ace [mailto:ace-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Jim Schaad
Sent: Sunday, July 01, 2018 9:34 AM
To: draft-ietf-ace-coap-...@ietf.org
Cc: 'ace' <ace@ietf.org>
Subject: [Ace] Review draft-ietf-ace-coap-est

* In section 4.1 I have a question about what you are using for payload content
encoding.  Part of this might just be a question of how you plan to move from
ASN.1 to CBOR at some point in the future.  I think that it would necessitate
doing new media-types in that event.  You appear to be doing a CBOR bstr
wrapping on the ASN.1 encoding payload.  I don't believe that there is any
reason for doing this.  I would expect that the payload would be the ASN.1 w/o
any ASN.1.  It is highly possible that I am just mis-reading what the text says
and this is what you say.

* In section 5.0 - As written, the example of doing a query against
/.well-known/core does not match my understanding of what would be return.
It should only return those resources which have the rt field set on them.
I do not understand why you believe that the following lines MAY be returned.
Clarification of why you think this is true would be appreciated.

* Section 6 - Is there a need to have all of this description around
TLS-unique?  Do you have a reason to believe that people are going get this
implemented wrong?

* Section 7 - I think the figure has an error associated w/ it.  The CA should
be tied to the EST Server and not to the Registrar

* Section 7 - Your language is a bit sloppy around the terms of POP and POP
linking.  Unless it is really badly behaved, POP should never be broken by an
RA.  The POP is the signature on the request and not tied to the TLS channel.
The POP linking is tied to the TLS channel and is broken by the changing of the
TLS sessions (client <-> RA,  RA <-> CA)

* Section 7 - It is not clear to me that the SHOULD on reassembly of
fragmentation is not a MUST.  I doubt that any EST server is going to be able
to deal with getting fragments of requests from a registrar in separate
messages.  This would be compounded if the proxy is handling multiple sessions
at the same time.

* Section 7 - It should be possible that when doing key generation for the
protection of the private key to be end-to-end and it should not be necessary
for the Proxy to decrypt and then re-encrypt the private key.  It should not
matter for this if one does either symmetric or asymmetric encryption of the
private key.

* Section 7 - It is very possible that the private key generation function
would be hosted on the proxy and not at the CA.  I think that you might want to
describe this as a normal configuration.  (Just spotted this in the Security
considerations.  I think it should be here as well.)

* Section 9.1 - application/multipart-core should not be in the table of items
for IANA to register.  This is being done in a different document.  If you want
this table as a whole then it needs to be moved out of IANA considerations.

* Section 9.2 - please expand this text some.  You might want to look at
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7390#section-6.1 for a template.

Jim