Benjamin Kaduk <ka...@mit.edu> wrote:
    >> John Mattsson <john.matts...@ericsson.com> wrote: > of negotiation is
    >> still needed. The current plan for the next version > is to introduce
    >> cipher suites and to let the cipher suite with value 0 > indicate that
    >> algorithms have been negotiated out-of-band.
    >>
    >> I agree with the idea that some common default should be very easy to
    >> refer to, but I don't like the idea that the gateway has to remember
    >> what the out-of-band "default" is on a per-device basis.  I would say
    >> that we need at least 0/1, so that we can say that it's the current vs
    >> the "new" default.
    >>
    >> If you consider the case where the sensor is on very low bandwidth
    >> connection (I would say LoRaWAN, but I am not well qualified in that
    >> space).  The sensor gets visited every two or three years by a
    >> technician (if only to make sure that the sensor is still where it is
    >> supposed to be).  While there new firmware updates are applied, and as
    >> a result the algorithm defaults are updated.  During the cycle, some
    >> devices are updated and some are still old.

    > Are you proposing that the management of the 0/1-to-algorithm mapping
    > be managed on a per-deployment basis or by the IETF?

I think that the existing proposal was that 0 means "negotiated out-of-band",
which implies that it's a per-deployment basis.

I'm proposing that instead of having 0 mean "some local default",
I'm suggesting that 0 mean, "some local default 0" and 1 mean, "some other
local default 1", which lets the default be updated without a flag day.

 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-