Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpen...@gmail.com> wrote:
    >> > I *really* don't understand this stuff, but how long could the rollover
    >> > take, for a reasonably large IoT network (presumably thousands of
    >> > devices)? Are we talking about a few seconds when no new sessions could
    >> > start, or what?
    >>
    >> For sleepy IoT devices that wake up once a day, and run on a slow
network?
    >> Could be a few weeks, easily.
    >>
    >> But, on such networks, the devices mostly don't talk to each other at
all.

    > What, no networks of cooperating sensors ("I've detected smoke, did you
    > detect smoke too?")

yeah, but since both sensors are sleeping, the coordination would be in the
central point.

    >> Industrial situations like factories aren't doing a lot of device2device
    >> communication (i.e. without involving the control system), but if they
did,
    >> then they'd want to schedule the certificate renewal/rollover at a
specific time.

    > Agreed, that would be normal procedure in control systems of all kinds.

    > It's less clear in what are euphemistically called tactical networks; a
    > certificate rollover on a battlefield could be a big deal.

the scene is the back of a truck (or sparse fuselage: think Edge of
Tomorrow), with 10 soldiers on each side: "Marines! Drop in five. Synchronize
your trust anchors!"

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+i...@sandelman.ca>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )